Premed 101 Forums

Advice Needed!

Hello everyone,

I have been working on my second bachelors and successfully completed my first year with a gpa of (3.85/4). I am supposed to start my second year this September however, it looks like I need to take this year off ( many personal and financial reasons) and start again in September 2017. I am very worried about medical schools as I cannot find information whether the a gap year during second bachelors would decrease my chances for schools looking at best/most recent 2/3 years? My plan for the gap year is working two jobs ( one involving a pharmaceutical chemist position), studying for the MCAT part time and doing some volunteer work. I believe this gap year would be pretty beneficial to my ECs but not sure how it is going to impact my GPA calculations for med school. 

I would appreciate your replies.

Thank you

I actually e-mailed some of the schools a while ago about the consecutive thing and the only one that had an issue was McGill, who required that the two years they evaluate you on be consecutive, without a gap year. This was in 2013 so may be a bit out of date.

For what it's worth, I did my best/last two years with a gap year between and I was admitted at Dal and Western. Ottawa also responded to let me know it wasn't an issue. But again, best to e-mail them directly.

Newd

Archived