Premed 101 Forums

Hey all, 
I am hoping to apply this following cycle but am just curious about what constitutes a publication. 
I am currently doing some work with a Neurological Association where I am writing articles for them which they post on their website. I am curious whether or not this is considered a publication or not. Can you also just briefly describe to me what a publication would be. 

Thanks so much in advance and congrats to everyone who just found their acceptance :)

I dont think writing articles for a neurological association website would constitute as a publication. What they're looking for are papers published in a scientific journal. Think Science, Nature, PNAS, American Chemistry Society, etc. Some schools require you be first or second author in order to count them. 

I may be wrong, so it's worth looking into the specifics in the help guide for each particular school. 

In the academic world, there are many types of publications, peer-reviewed and non-peer-reviewed (or refereed). All should go on your personal CV.

https://juliekinn.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/listing-publications-on-your-cv-where-to-put-the-iffy-stuff/

Agree it's a good idea to check with each school for their application requirements (what can be included and how).

It should be clear from your entry title anyway that it is an article published on a website. If it has been peer-reviewed, try to include that too.

Archived