Premed 101 Forums

ECs for Ualberta

Hey guys,  I was just looking for some feedback on my ECs.  Ualberta is my top choice,  and getting some feedback with other people who applied/got accepted would be much appreciated.  I am currently heading into my third year.  Currently, my ECs are as follows:

-6 years ongoing involvement with an animal humane society

-14 years ongoing involvement with soccer,  will be coaching during the upcoming school year

-4 years ongoing involvement with martial arts 

-working in a research lab this summer,  should be doing a presentation at the end of it.  I will be involved in research during the course of the semester in a different lab,  and will continue to do summer research the following summer.

-recently got involved with Big Brothers and Sisters 

-work experience at two different jobs from a while back 

I feel like they are quite underwhelming,  and I am at a huge disadvantage because of this :( I really want to get them sorted out before I apply,  but I am not really sure where to start.  I have no idea how ECs are quantified or what categories/bases I should be covering,  other than to follow the CANMED competencies,  which seems rather vague.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  I really need it lol :unsure:

Firstly, welcome to the Forum! :P Your ECs are certainly not underwhelming! And stick with Big Brothers and Sisters.

You do realize that you don’t have a clue when and where lightning will strike and, therefore, to enhance your chances you will need to apply broadly.  At this stage, you are not at any disadvantage. I would be happy to look over your application material as you go provided you give me the full criteria together with your drsft submissions.

On 6/30/2018 at 5:23 AM, Bambi said:

Firstly, welcome to the Forum! :P Your ECs are certainly not underwhelming! And stick with Big Brothers and Sisters.

You do realize that you don’t have a clue when and where lightning will strike and, therefore, to enhance your chances you will need to apply broadly.  At this stage, you are not at any disadvantage. I would be happy to look over your application material as you go provided you give me the full criteria together with your drsft submissions.

That is good to hear!  I would think that at best,  they would be maybe average?  But I guess I wouldn't really be the expert :lol:  

I will for sure be sticking with Big Brothers and Sisters.  Any recommendations for improvement in regards to my ECs?  

Yeah,  I agree that casting my net wide is definitely a wise move.  Thank you for offering to do that when the time comes! It is much appreciated :)

Archived