Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters?

I’m a bit confused on the OMSAS letter process. Are the references just a 1-2 page letter only or does the reference process include a separate evaluation form of the applicant as well? (Example: what would you rank this applicant? How caring is applicant etc.)?  If it’s just a 1-2 page typed up letter, does OMSAS accept interfolio?

The reference will write their own letter, but they are also sent a form to fill out in terms of various traits and what percentile they would rate you at. They also write how long they’ve known you and I think their capacity ( e.g mentor). Everything is digital now. They should get instructions so they’ll know what to do hopefully if they follow those.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I'm wondering if anyone offers experienced review of reference letter drafts?  I find that I have to create drafts for my referees (which isn't ideal, but many of my references have busy schedules with teaching/research/clinical work) -- and I want to make sure my letters are at least somewhat eye catching for the reviewers! 

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, VeryNiceGuy said:

Wait, you can draft your own reference letter and have your referee read it? Never heard of anyone doing this.

A lot of references, particularly profs, will ask people to write a draft and send it to them. Perhaps not the best practice but it is very common. 

Archived