Premed 101 Forums

MMI/Casper Question

do mention that you have reasons to not want them to turn themselves in (you care about them and their professional life and don't want them to face the massive consequences of being caught) but ultimately you have more reasons (of greater magnitude; ex.: can't let someone that cheats become a doctor and possibly destroy someone's life) for telling your friend to turn themselves, and you should conclude that it's better to tell them to turn themselves in (or at least encourage them to do so). Compassion/empathy are important in MMI/CASPer, but professionalism is also pretty high up there. 

17 minutes ago, signhere said:

What would you do if you find your friend cheating off you during an exam? In real life you wouldnt rat them out but for the interview would you tell them to turn themselves in? 

I think you should enter the MMI being yourself. You could either be someone who's willing to overlook the rules (with good intent and reasoning) or someone whose by the books - just like in real life. Whatever your line of thinking is, you'll provide a better answer if you think like yourself.

I don't think there is a correct answer per se, but you would need to justify which ever answer you choose. 

For instance, lets say you decide to rat them out. I would say something on the lines of: 

• Understand why they are cheating in the first place
  • If they have a good reason - advocate for them to talk to the prof to write the exam on another day
  • No good reason = convince them to confess to the prof of their own actions (i.e. don't jump the gun and rat them out)
    • If affects the grade of everyone in the course if the overall grades were to be bell curved
    • Some people in the course may be depending on a good grade for academic scholarships for tuition
    • It's unfair for those who studied hard, and unfair for those who didn't study and are willing to accept the consequences of their actions
    • After all attempts, I would tell the prof in private as you are advocating for yourself and the rest of class but acknowledge this would negatively affect your friendship and you are willing to accept that.

You could also decide not to rat them out. I would say something on the lines of:

• Understand why they are cheating in the first place
  • Talk to them about other options besides cheating
  • Try and help them see the repercussions and how it could be unfair to others
  • Suggest you could form a study group for subsequent exams so everyone can keep each other focused and improve
  • If they still decide the cheat
    • Suggest that you've done the best you could convincing them, and that you won't ever understand the circumstances they are under (i.e. sympathize)
    • Ratting out your friend doesn't mean that there couldn't be others in the exam who are also cheating and ruining it for everyone
    • Also suggest that they may be a very good friend, who's a good person and helped you a lot in the past - their one mistake/action shouldn't be a reason to ruin a good friendship over.

I know other people in the forum would suggest there is one right answer over another, but it really comes down to what you honestly think about the situation and why. I always advise people to be the best version of themselves in the CASPer/MMI and not try to play games (i.e. what would the interviewer want to hear?).

My two cents.

To give another perspective:

Your friend cheated « off you «  during the exam - and this makes you a co-comspirstor in the cheating, I.e., you participated in the cheating as he did it with your knowledge. Should somebody have seen and reported this - it could very likely result in expulsion of you both! So, the ancillary issue you need to st least consider, whether you talk about it or not in your answer, is should you not report him, you are as guilty as him in the eyes of the administration should you not have reported him.

Therefore, out of your own self-interest, morality and ethics aside,  not reporting him can derail your entire future; for what? Loyalty that may or may not be returned if the roles were to be reversed. 

Considering the above and the ethical issues involved, and considering you are now responding to a MMI scenario, failure to report in a timely manner is tantamount to watching another doctor act negligently with s patient, not stepping up to the plate and letting the patient deteriorate or worse, all for the sake of loyalty to a colleague! 

To repeat, in real life, you claim you wouldn’t rat out your friend, even in the knowledge that you could be expelled as you participated in the cheating! I would like to see you explain to your parents and your s.o. (who then becomes your ex) how you threw your future away over being loyal to a friend who was unworthy of it. 

By indicsting you would not report him,  by being involved in the cheating even in an involuntary manner but not coming forward, I would not be impressed with your answer and might not give you a passing grade all things considered.

All the above is food for thought.

Archived