Premed 101 Forums

MPH/RD to Med

Hey everyone, 

I was looking for some advice on what my best options are, which schools to look into applying to (Canada and States chances) and whether it's worth it to take the MCAT. I want to go into med but I don't know what my chances look like. I'm currently doing an MPH at UofT and during my clinical rotations in the hospital I've realized I really have a passion for medicine and I think I'll regret not going into med (I always wanted to go into med but I never felt competitive enough). I'll be a Registered Dietitian (hence the clinical rotations) soon. 

My undergrad GPA is: 3.68 (1st year: 3.59, 2nd year: 3.35, 3rd year: 3.88 , 4th year: 3.88)                                                                                                                          Nutrition and Dietetics has a lot of subjective courses and that's what brought my GPA down and I had lots of borderline percentage grades that reflect poorly on the GPA scale.

Any help is appreciated.

The good news is you have two years of competitive GPA. Absolutely take the MCAT. If you do well (i.e. meet the cut-offs) you'll at least get your file looked at by Queen's and Western. Have you calculated your weighted GPA for each of the other schools? That's where I'd start. 

Not sure about what kind if brownie points your MPH will get you at schools so I'll let others chime in here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, 

Please see below...

On 7/17/2018 at 4:52 PM, medloverm said:

Hey everyone, 

I was looking for some advice on what my best options are, which schools to look into applying to (Canada and States chances) and whether it's worth it to take the MCAT. I want to go into med but I don't know what my chances look like. I'm currently doing an MPH at UofT and during my clinical rotations in the hospital I've realized I really have a passion for medicine and I think I'll regret not going into med (I always wanted to go into med but I never felt competitive enough). I'll be a Registered Dietitian (hence the clinical rotations) soon. 

Worth giving it a try while still working on your plan B in the meantime. 

My undergrad GPA is: 3.68 (1st year: 3.59, 2nd year: 3.35, 3rd year: 3.88 , 4th year: 3.88)                                                                                                                          Nutrition and Dietetics has a lot of subjective courses and that's what brought my GPA down and I had lots of borderline percentage grades that reflect poorly on the GPA scale.

Any help is appreciated.

Grades are decent but not exceptional, though still worth trying. A lot also depends on your MPH performance as it's course-based generally which can help with your GPA. There are other areas like the MCAT and ECs to consider so I shall save answering this question until after your MCAT. 

As a side note good work on your MPH... I'm only very slightly biased.

- G

Archived