Premed 101 Forums

UBC Pharmacy Applications 2018/2019 - Class of 2023

KingdomSquares

Didn't they say they would also send out an email to let people know who didn't get an invite?

I checked SSC and my email and have nothing unfortunately.... Overall GPA 3.7, last 2 years 3.96, did very well in biochem, O-chem, cellular biology. Worked at and volunteered at pharmacy... but then again I am an OOP applicant so maybe that factored in.

13 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

Didn't they say they would also send out an email to let people know who didn't get an invite?

I checked SSC and my email and have nothing unfortunately.... Overall GPA 3.7, last 2 years 3.96, did very well in biochem, O-chem, cellular biology. Worked at and volunteered at pharmacy... but then again I am an OOP applicant so maybe that factored in.

Your Ochem, biochem and cell bio are probably second-year courses so they won't factor into the calculation. Pharm would only be concerned with your last 30 credits and your first-year pre-reqs. I wouldn't lose hope but I also wouldn't book a flight just yet. They gave us until the 7th to accept/reject the interview offer so you might get an offer thereafter. 

4 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

yeah everyone who applies should get an email.. they usually send them out in waves I think 

2 minutes ago, Pharm2k said:

Your Ochem, biochem and cell bio are probably second-year courses so they won't factor into the calculation. Pharm would only be concerned with your last 30 credits and your first-year pre-reqs. I wouldn't lose hope but I also would book a flight just yet. They gave us until the 7th to accept/reject the interview offer so you might get an offer thereafter. 

ok thanks for the info.. Guess I will keep waiting. Seems likely that not many people will reject the interview though as most other pharmacy schools in Canada don't let people know anything till June, so I'm assuming most people will accept the interview invite. 

What are people's GPA who got the invites? Just curious 

4 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

ok thanks for the info.. Guess I will keep waiting. Seems likely that not many people will reject the interview though as most other pharmacy schools in Canada don't let people know anything till June, so I'm assuming most people will accept the interview invite. 

What are people's GPA who got the invites? Just curious 

Not everyone applying to pharm want to do pharm...med schools start giving out acceptance decisions around right now too! A lot of microbiology majors apply just for fun because they meet all the prereqs and will only go if they don't get a seat in MICB322. Don't lose hope! 

3 minutes ago, Pharm2k said:

Not everyone applying to pharm want to do pharm...med schools start giving out acceptance decisions around right now too! A lot of microbiology majors apply just for fun because they meet all the prereqs and will only go if they don't get a seat in MICB322. Don't lose hope! 

Thats true..thanks for the insight!

guess I will wait until the 8th and see if they send out more invites or not.

does anyone have any insight as to why I didn't get an invite?? I feel like I have a very competitive GPA (especially last 30 credits) and have plenty of work experience at pharmacy,  years of service, etc... 

Or does anyone know who I could call to find out about my application? thanks in advance. 

14 minutes ago, LethyPharm said:

does anyone have any insight as to why I didn't get an invite?? I feel like I have a very competitive GPA (especially last 30 credits) and have plenty of work experience at pharmacy,  years of service, etc... 

Or does anyone know who I could call to find out about my application? thanks in advance. 

I would call carol  to ask but I have tried calling her twice now and she has not picked up.. maybe email?  also be patient you may still get one tomorrow or later on keep in mind that not all invites were likely sent out today and that the interviews are happening over a period of two days. They may have sent out saturday invites today and Sundays maybe tomorrow?  Anyways good luck im sure you will be fine!!

17 minutes ago, petey40 said:

Hey everyone,

does anyone know if grades are more important to get the interview and then getting admission after that depends more on the interview and personal profile? 

Thanks

Hello i went to a few differnt information sessions and from what i have gathered your grades only matter for the interview after that admission into the program is based on your interview score (~80%)and personal profile (~20%) . That being said if you are taking pre reqs this semster you still need to pass them but that wont affect the GPA that they look at 

3 minutes ago, pharm222 said:

I would call carol  to ask but I have tried calling her twice now and she has not picked up.. maybe email?  also be patient you may still get one tomorrow or later on keep in mind that not all invites were likely sent out today and that the interviews are happening over a period of two days. They may have sent out saturday invites today and Sundays maybe tomorrow?  Anyways good luck im sure you will be fine!!

Did anyone get a Sunday invite? 

11 minutes ago, pharm222 said:

ok thanks, good luck to you as well! I will try and call tomorrow maybe. Just confused how they decide who gets an interview on the first wave of invites... perhaps they do a lottery draw for those who meet the requirements? At this point I am stumped how they decide... if they don't take people with the highest GPA i'm not sure what they do

From what I know. Interviews is based on MARKS only. And, I got my interview offer today and my interview is scheduled for Sunday afternoon. 

To get an acceptance letter, I know your marks no longer matter; it is just based on interview and your personal profile. 

I managed to get an interview with a high 60's first year avg and an A+ avg for last 30 credits.