Premed 101 Forums

GPA dilemma

Hi, I am in a dilemma right now.

I have a GPA of 3.77 but I am currently taking first-year English course and expect to receive a 2.3. 

It will bring my GPA down to 3.72. 

Should I drop the course or continue on?

Does McMaster calculate GPA using only courses completed in undergrad program only or do they calculate courses taken after undergrad as well?

I graduated in 2016, if relevant.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, wishcalculator said:

Yes it would. Probably not worth it for a prereq. Just take the English courses for ubc during the application cycle!

Agreed, one of my friends did that. Apply to UBC, you get interview invites in December. If you get interview, take the English courses online (prob easier) and get it done during the Winter term. If not, don't take English. 

Thanks all for your thoughtful responses.

Another reason would be if not med school, there is chance in Dental or Optometry and English is a pre-req for them. :/ :/ :/

Would the lower GPA not be worth it :/ On a positive note, I mean it is still  within 3.7 GPA range???

I interviewed at Mac with a 3.73 and 129 CARS, so I don't think 3.72 would be that detrimental, but I definitely see where a lot of people here are coming from that you don't want an English course to drop your gpa. I think it depends partly on how this affects your U of T weighting as well...

On 4/6/2019 at 6:17 PM, poslkdf said:

Hi, I am in a dilemma right now.

I have a GPA of 3.77 but I am currently taking first-year English course and expect to receive a 2.3. 

It will bring my GPA down to 3.72. 

Should I drop the course or continue on?

Does McMaster calculate GPA using only courses completed in undergrad program only or do they calculate courses taken after undergrad as well?

I graduated in 2016, if relevant.

Thanks.

I got an interview at McMaster, but, I am not in, so take this with a grain of salt.

I applied with a 3.69 wGPA and have 2 C-s on my transcript. I also only got a 128 on my CARS section. If you prepare well for the Casper you can more than make up for a weak GPA.

I believe for Mac, 3.7+ gpa is sufficient. Considering CARs and casper are decent as well of course. Once you get an interview its 70% based on that so your gpa wouldn't matter much! Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't dropping a course this late in the term mean you get an F (and not a W for withdrawn)? 

Archived