Premed 101 Forums

14 hours ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

Actually med micro residency gives you an independent IM license as well. 

That's surprising. Just browsing around medical microbiology program descriptions, most seem to have only 2 years of clinical training (1 year general, 1 year ID).

On 4/9/2019 at 10:50 AM, 1D7 said:

That's surprising. Just browsing around medical microbiology program descriptions, most seem to have only 2 years of clinical training (1 year general, 1 year ID).

My mistake, looked into it again and it's actually Medical Biochemistry (not Medical Microbiology) residency that gives you GIM license!

18 hours ago, Monkey D. Luffy said:

My mistake, looked into it again and it's actually Medical Biochemistry (not Medical Microbiology) residency that gives you GIM license!

Does it still exist as its own specialty? I was under the impression it had been collapsed into Pathology. (Medical Biochemistry)

21 minutes ago, John Galt MD said:

Does it still exist as its own specialty? I was under the impression it had been collapsed into Pathology. (Medical Biochemistry)

Don't really know, but there's 4 spots for it from IM across Canada (2 anglophone).

6 hours ago, John Galt MD said:

You might be right, I can no longer find it under the CaRMS programs listing. It definitely used to be a 5 year direct entry program that resulted in both an IM and medical biochemistry certification.

I looked at these programs not too long ago, and the ones I was checking out (not sure which) offered 2 years of IM + 3 years of medical microbiology which ended up giving you a medical microbiology certification only, but they allowed you to do 3 years of IM + 3 years of medical microbiology which ended up giving you a certification in medical microbiology + GIM + ID.

Archived