Premed 101 Forums

Hi, I've been a long time lurker of this forum and like many others, have been dreaming of going to medical school. I've applied to UBC 3 times and I've never received an interview. I've changed the way I wrote my application, I've added more activities and continued old ones and it feels like nothing I do is enough to bring my score up to get that interview. It's disheartening and I'm losing more and more hope. Rejections feel worse each year as I get older and I see more and more friends get in to the program, yet I'm still here. I also see lots of applicants who have lied on their applications, only done activities to make their resume look good, or take GPA booster classes all just to get in. It's frustrating to see people like that get in and lots of deserving, genuine applicants get pushed to the side because they just didn't do enough to play this medical school game. I admire UBC because I think they do a better job of selection than other medical schools but still... it's frustrating. Each rejection means another year of my life gone and I don't know how long I can keep doing this. But if I stop applying, I guess I'll always have regrets that what if next year was my year.

Anyways, in short, I guess I just wanted to get this off my chest and say I'm feeling pretty disheartened. 

2 hours ago, lecter said:

1 hour ago, lecter said:

Hi, I've been a long time lurker of this forum and like many others, have been dreaming of going to medical school. I've applied to UBC 3 times and I've never received an interview. I've changed the way I wrote my application, I've added more activities and continued old ones and it feels like nothing I do is enough to bring my score up to get that interview. It's disheartening and I'm losing more and more hope. Rejections feel worse each year as I get older and I see more and more friends get in to the program, yet I'm still here. I also see lots of applicants who have lied on their applications, only done activities to make their resume look good, or take GPA booster classes all just to get in. It's frustrating to see people like that get in and lots of deserving, genuine applicants get pushed to the side because they just didn't do enough to play this medical school game. I admire UBC because I think they do a better job of selection than other medical schools but still... it's frustrating. Each rejection means another year of my life gone and I don't know how long I can keep doing this. But if I stop applying, I guess I'll always have regrets that what if next year was my year.

Anyways, in short, I guess I just wanted to get this off my chest and say I'm feeling pretty disheartened. 

I completely feel your pain.... and it's definitely good to get it off your chest. This is my fourth time applying to UBC and its the first year I received an interview and waitlist (which I am very grateful for). My NAQ remained under 20 for the first 3 applications and it felt like I was never going to receive an interview.

But you must keep going if you are passionate about medicine! Try not to compare yourself to others and focus on yourself instead. Stay healthy, exercise, hang out with your friends, do the things you like to do to enhance your mental health. Work on the weak spots of your application - GPA, MCAT, NAQ entries. It's not going to be easy but if you work hard and commit yourself to the process, it's only a matter of time. I've read some amazing stories on this forum about people who get into the program after 6+ applications and they always motivate me to keep pursuing my dream. 

Hope this helped somewhat :) Feel free to PM me if you'd like

Thank you for the reply! Congrats on the interview! Yeah, those stories of people getting in after 6+ applications are what give me hope. I always feel sad around this time of year but seem to get motivated for my app in Aug/Sept. I guess I'll just wait it out.  Fingers crossed you get in off the waitlist!! :)

On 5/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, lecter said:

Hi lecter,

First and foremost, I sincerely commend you for working so hard all these years and showing dedication and commitment to follow your dream.  I can totally understand what you're feeling ... believe me.  I know how disappointing it is when you don't receive the news you were hoping for despite all your hard work; I know how demoralizing it feels when bad news comes knocking... I know these because I've had to battle and push through those same feelings myself (many... many times).  It took 6 applications before I received an offer this cycle.  I explored all the possibilities before I was finally accepted:  Going from being rejected before the interview, to rejected after the interview, to rejected after being waitlisted, to being ineligible for 2 whole years... to finally being where I've been dreaming about for God knows how long.  What I'm trying to say is that persistence is key.  Passion is what derives my persistence.  Knowing that I want nothing other than practicing medicine for my future career is what pushed me through those dark times.  From what you've shared, it seems like you are a passionate, hardworking, and dedicated individual – qualities that will make you an excellent and successful physician.

I know it is much easier said than done, but as @dduk has nicely worded, please try your best to put your focus on yourself.  Do things that you love and enjoy, whether that'd be starting a new hobby, travelling, volunteering, and much more.  When you do the things you love, you'll never get tired of them.  They will primarily help contribute to your experiences and broaden your perspective on life; on the side, they will also help improve your application.

Please feel free to PM me – I would love to chat with you in more detail, if there is anything specific you'd like me to help you with :).  I truly wish you the best, and I hope that you receive fantastic news next cycle so that you can share it with all of us on this forum!

18 hours ago, Neurophiliac said:

Hi lecter,

First and foremost, I sincerely commend you for working so hard all these years and showing dedication and commitment to follow your dream.  I can totally understand what you're feeling ... believe me.  I know how disappointing it is when you don't receive the news you were hoping for despite all your hard work; I know how demoralizing it feels when bad news comes knocking... I know these because I've had to battle and push through those same feelings myself (many... many times).  It took 6 applications before I received an offer this cycle.  I explored all the possibilities before I was finally accepted:  Going from being rejected before the interview, to rejected after the interview, to rejected after being waitlisted, to being ineligible for 2 whole years... to finally being where I've been dreaming about for God knows how long.  What I'm trying to say is that persistence is key.  Passion is what derives my persistence.  Knowing that I want nothing other than practicing medicine for my future career is what pushed me through those dark times.  From what you've shared, it seems like you are a passionate, hardworking, and dedicated individual – qualities that will make you an excellent and successful physician.

I know it is much easier said than done, but as @dduk has nicely worded, please try your best to put your focus on yourself.  Do things that you love and enjoy, whether that'd be starting a new hobby, travelling, volunteering, and much more.  When you do the things you love, you'll never get tired of them.  They will primarily help contribute to your experiences and broaden your perspective on life; on the side, they will also help improve your application.

Please feel free to PM me – I would love to chat with you in more detail, if there is anything specific you'd like me to help you with :).  I truly wish you the best, and I hope that you receive fantastic news next cycle so that you can share it with all of us on this forum!

Thanks Neurophiliac, I really appreciate the motivating and kind words. I will PM you :)