Premed 101 Forums

Subletting during clerkship

I'm going into first year Mac med and I'm looking to sign a lease at a place that doesn't allow subletting ..... I was wondering how common it is for people to sublet their places during clerkship when they go on away electives, or do most people find its not worth the hassle to try to sublet for just a few weeks during their elective?

There’s a medical housing Facebook group that seems pretty active for all of this. Not sure how successful others have been for subletting, though. I stayed a home for clerkship, and my three travel electives I stayed with family, stayed with a friend, or split an Airbnb (when it was first just getting off the ground) with a classmate.

Also this is back in the day before that awful electives portal I keep hearing about - how much do you folks end up spending on that thing anyways?

21 hours ago, goldengopher said:

I'm going into first year Mac med and I'm looking to sign a lease at a place that doesn't allow subletting ..... I was wondering how common it is for people to sublet their places during clerkship when they go on away electives, or do most people find its not worth the hassle to try to sublet for just a few weeks during their elective?

You will be gone for a max stretch of 8 weeks (at least according to the c2021 schedule). Unless you've a core rotation at a rural site, you will likely be commuting from Hamilton for most of clerkship

I havent heard of anyone subletting during clerkship

22 hours ago, goldengopher said:

Its not really worth it, its often a bigger hassle than its worth and the issue is that you are usually very busy and stressed during elective season and pre-CaRMS and you don't want to deal with any added stressors of a potential problem subletter. Any potential financial gain or loss of an impacted CaRMS match result will drastically outweigh any minor financial benefit you get from subletting for a few weeks.