Premed 101 Forums

150 character limit a bit.... limiting? (ABS)

Hey everyone, 

I've been trying to write up my sketch entries. I hear people talk about how it takes them so much time to think about what to write, how to write it etc. However, I can't help but think that 150 characters is barely enough to even give an accurate description of what exactly was involved, let alone include CanMEDS ideology. Am I missing something? Is there a portion (besides Western's aABS and UofT's thing) which asks for more elaboration?

I suppose the challenge is to very briefly summarize the activity, while simultaneously drawing attention to the transferable skills (i.e. CanMEDS) involved. Just trying to make sure I'm not going crazy (I don't have close friends applying to Ontario schools)

Cheers

7 minutes ago, m_jacob_45 said:

You are correct. One of the ways that helped me a lot is to remember that you can use common short forms I.e. use “+” for and, b/c for because, etc. Saves quite a bit of space.

That makes me feel better. Thanks for the tip by the way, I'll try to put that to good use!

12 hours ago, WunderBar said:

I hear people talk about how it takes them so much time to think about what to write, how to write it etc

This is why people do this. It does take a lot of time to learn how to effectively summarize and sell yourself at the same time.

I actually disagree with the above post. I would not use "+" or "b/c" to save space. It takes away from readability and can be annoying for the reader to follow a thought (this from personal experience on admission committees). If you absolutely need to use a short form then occasionally it will be fine, but otherwise all you need is more time thinking about how to better craft your responses.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:39 AM, robclem21 said:

This is why people do this. It does take a lot of time to learn how to effectively summarize and sell yourself at the same time.

I actually disagree with the above post. I would not use "+" or "b/c" to save space. It takes away from readability and can be annoying for the reader to follow a thought (this from personal experience on admission committees). If you absolutely need to use a short form then occasionally it will be fine, but otherwise all you need is more time thinking about how to better craft your responses.

Thanks for the response. As a first-time applicant, I'm learning this the hard way. 

Your signature is very inspiring, by the way. I'm glad you've been able to pursue your dream.