Premed 101 Forums

To rewrite or not rewrite the mcat

I am really struggling here. I’m going into my 4th app cycle but last of mcat eligibility (didn’t apply 1st year after writing). I barely missed the interview cutoff on the 2nd app and interviewed last cycle but didn’t get in. I’m wrestling with whether to rewrite this test. There is so much information and I haven’t looked at it in 2-3 years. Deciding against it is ending the dream but if I don’t get in after my 4th application is there really any point?

4 hours ago, mdpwns1763 said:

I am really struggling here. I’m going into my 4th app cycle but last of mcat eligibility (didn’t apply 1st year after writing). I barely missed the interview cutoff on the 2nd app and interviewed last cycle but didn’t get in. I’m wrestling with whether to rewrite this test. There is so much information and I haven’t looked at it in 2-3 years. Deciding against it is ending the dream but if I don’t get in after my 4th application is there really any point?

Why don’t you wait and see if you actually get interviews this cycle before deciding? You should have more than enough time to register for an MCAT sitting that will be accepted next cycle. It’s a lot of material to learn sure, but it will likely come easier the second time. If you get an August sitting you could actually wait until you find out if your accepted in May before you had to start studying in earnest and would still have a reasonable amount of time to prep (3 mo). 

Are you only applying to UBC ?    If you really want medicine you should widen your reach and apply everywhere in Canada you can be competitive.   Your Overall MCAT is great but the 125 CARS is very limiting.

You have had an interview,  so you must be close and have good ECs.  

So apply this cycle to UBC and anywhere else you could be competitive now.   If you have a good GPA, then re-write the MCAT and apply broadly next cycle.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Frederick Sanger said:

What does your GPA look like for schools like McGill and uOttawa that do not require the MCAT?

Realistically, with a slightly higher score, you can open many other schools (Western, Queen's, Calgary, Alberta, etc). 

I would ONLY register for the MCAT when your practice exams are in the confidence range of what you anticipate to take. The MCAT takes a lot of time, sacrifice and one should not take it lightly. 

If you have specific questions about your options, message me and I can give you concrete advice about those too. It might help to know your statistics a little bit better to see what option suites you the most. 

GPA is 88%. Yeah I know studying for the mcat is about a 2 month commitment or it was last time for me. However I’m of the mindset if you don’t set a test date you never will. EC are decent enough for a ubc interview.