Premed 101 Forums

How to write about research?

How exactly do you write about research on your Non-Academic Activities? Especially those volunteer lab chore positions... would we just write something like "I held the responsibility of cleaning glassware and tools for the entire lab. I also organized data into a database for future analysis." 

Also, should we talk specifically about projects we work on? Or do we just be brief, to prevent it from sounding like an abstract entry? For example, could I just say "Ran experiments pertaining to insulin processing in relation to diabetes development," without going too hard into the science? 

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Saturation said:

How exactly do you write about research on your Non-Academic Activities? Especially those volunteer lab chore positions... would we just write something like "I held the responsibility of cleaning glassware and tools for the entire lab. I also organized data into a database for future analysis." 

Also, should we talk specifically about projects we work on? Or do we just be brief, to prevent it from sounding like an abstract entry? For example, could I just say "Ran experiments pertaining to insulin processing in relation to diabetes development," without going too hard into the science? 

Thanks!

You have to be brief, because there’s so little space. Describing your responsibilities and how they change or increase over time will be more important than the extract details of the research you  did, but a short description for context (like the example you included) is good.

• 9 months later...

In addition to what @frenchpress said,  (taking everything I say with a grain of salt because zero involvement in admissions, just my personal opinion/what I did), instead of detailing what the projects were, I would just list the number. you could say "simultaneously juggled 3 projects, did 3 presentations, and published 1 paper" or something like that---- but if you listed these actual pubs/presentations in the research section, then you don't need to include it again. This is if you weren't able to write it in the official research section.

I'm not sure the specifics of your project would help your application. You could though. The way you wrote it was pretty concise so I think its fine.