Premed 101 Forums

McGill Chances

AdamMD

Hello,

I have a 3.8 GPA on the dot and I am currently doing a MSc. degree. I am applying as IP - QC university.  Based on the 3.88-3.9 GPA for 2018, how good/bad are my chances? Does the Msc. degree (which I am in the process of doing, contribute to my academic context? and does a strong upward GPA trend also contribute?) Would really appreciate it if someone with similar stats could share their experiences applying last cycle. Thanks a lot!

For reference, I've copied my ECs from another post: 

Lots of volunteering at a hospital in patient care (300+ hours)

1 publications with a neurosurgeon

Spent the majority of my undergrad playing a varsity sport for my school, and won a few medals at provincials 

I spent time was spent teaching special needs students with a company in my community and coaching. 

Did a few outreach clubs and have exec positions here and there, but nothing too serious outside of teaching, sports, and research.

Lots of random awards by the university and province for sports, high class standing awards, and a bunch of smaller things.

I think that with a good casper you have great chances to be invited for interviews! McGill seems to like people who did intensive sports/music as hobbies. It is unclear how much the upward trend and MSc impacts your final score, but it is taken into consideration. 

For the GPA, you are only a little bit under the average, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Also, you can't really change anything about it now, so focus on the rest! ;) 

8 hours ago, AdamMD said:

@Elgar I see you go to McGill - Congrats :), I was wondering how you know it's taken into consideration. Did you ask the faculty? Also thanks a lot for your response @Bambi 

You can find more information on that page! https://mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process/academic-evaluation 

It doesn't say for the the upward trend, I just heard on this forum that they take that a bit into consideration, but it seems like something they would evaluate in the "non-GPA" aspect of the academic component (based on their own description). As I said, they are not crystal clear on that part, but it seems it would be to your advantage, at least for the graduate studies :)