Premed 101 Forums

Research during M1-M2 questions

Hey everyone! Happy holidays :)

Lots of Qs about research below :) please help if you can :)

I am wondering the importance of research for CaRMS matching in general and also for competitive specialties? Is it crucial that I get a publication out of it? Is it important that it is in the same field as my potential specialty choice? Should I just cold-call (email) researchers and do they have to be associated with their university's medical program? Would a research assistant position over the summer provide enough experience for CaRMS or should it be longer term? Is it usual to get a publication from a summer research assistant position? Do researchers typically pay their assistants through their funding or do I need to secure a 'summer studentship' grant? 

Thank you all in advance and enjoy the break!

29 minutes ago, clever_smart_boy_like_me said:

Hey everyone! Happy holidays :)

Lots of Qs about research below :) please help if you can :)

I am wondering the importance of research for CaRMS matching in general and also for competitive specialties? Is it crucial that I get a publication out of it? Is it important that it is in the same field as my potential specialty choice? Should I just cold-call (email) researchers and do they have to be associated with their university's medical program? Would a research assistant position over the summer provide enough experience for CaRMS or should it be longer term? Is it usual to get a publication from a summer research assistant position? Do researchers typically pay their assistants through their funding or do I need to secure a 'summer studentship' grant? 

Thank you all in advance and enjoy the break!

Publications aren't the only thing that matters, but there are many competitive specialties in which some amount of research is pretty much expected.

Also I personally think that because of the elective change (maxing out at 8 weeks in any discipline) research might become even more important. If you can't distinguish yourself by doing a ton of electives in ophthalmology and making good impressions on different programs, having an impressive research portfolio might fill that role instead. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see that as a possible outcome. Something will have to fill that void when there's an 8 week max.

As for summer vs. other, whatever you want. The role of medical students in a lot of research projects is just data collection, so it's not a big deal to do a bit of that during the years. You can get involved in multiple projects over the 4 years without a massive time commitment.

Thank you guys, I think that really helps answer some questions I had about how to structure my summer. That's perfect! 

If anyone has any more advice or experience I would love to hear it either as a comment here so others can benefit or as a private message if you don't feel like sharing your personal info with the forum.