Premed 101 Forums

2+1 in FM and Sports Medicine Fellowship

MedLad

The fellowship is highly variable depending on where you go, but you can expect a combination of sports medicine clinics, ortho clinics/OR assist, exercise medicine, physiatry, and/or neuro/derm/sport cardiology/ultrasound etc. You may have a fellow run clinic or not. In my program there was no overnight call but you are expected to have a certain number of game/event coverage hours In the fellowship and you may be assigned a varsity sport team to cover. The work setting after is really what you choose, there is so much you can do with SEM including family clinic, SEM clinics, ultrasound guided injections, ortho assist, high level sport coverage, ER, etc. You can choose to only see athletes or you can choose to see MVC, workplace injuries, active or sedentary individuals. The pay is influenced by what you choose to do so it’s also highly variable.

Hope this helps! 

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The fellowship is highly variable depending on where you go, but you can expect a combination of sports medicine clinics, ortho clinics/OR assist, exercise medicine, physiatry, and/or neuro/derm/sport cardiology/ultrasound etc. You may have a fellow run clinic or not. In my program there was no overnight call but you are expected to have a certain number of game/event coverage hours In the fellowship and you may be assigned a varsity sport team to cover. The work setting after is really what you choose, there is so much you can do with SEM including family clinic, SEM clinics, ultrasound guided injections, ortho assist, high level sport coverage, ER, etc. You can choose to only see athletes or you can choose to see MVC, workplace injuries, active or sedentary individuals. The pay is influenced by what you choose to do so it’s also highly variable.

Hope this helps! 

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Hope this helps! 

The programs in Canada are also quite variable, some stronger than others.  Still far behind the US sports med fellowships though, where POCUS and game/team coverage resources it a whole different level! 

5 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

The programs in Canada are also quite variable, some stronger than others.  Still far behind the US sports med fellowships though, where POCUS and game/team coverage resources it a whole different level! 

interesting! do Canadian grads have access to those fellowships as well? Or does our reduced time in family medicine residency block that? 

23 hours ago, rmorelan said:

interesting! do Canadian grads have access to those fellowships as well? Or does our reduced time in family medicine residency block that? 

Unfortunately I dont think so, you would need to top up to the 3 years, and get ABFM first i think. Though, don't know of anyone going in that direction, only the other way around (US FM to deciding between Canadian fellowship vs US fellowship)

4 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Unfortunately I dont think so, you would need to top up to the 3 years, and get ABFM first i think. Though, don't know of anyone going in that direction, only the other way around (US FM to deciding between Canadian fellowship vs US fellowship)

Too bad, that sounds pretty interesting as a fellowship - and I know many canadian doctors very interested in things like that. Oh well...