Premed 101 Forums

Casper question

For example for the situation they give in the casper sample test, with a person that is trying to return something to your shop without a receipt and says that he has a sick daughter, would breaking the rules to help her be a good idea? If not, if the person told you his daughter was dying and needed the money for some expensive treatment, would breaking the rules then be a good idea? 

it's very context specific for each scenario, but overall for rule breaking- think of it like this, they're asking you, as a doctor, would you break the rules? as a med school student, would you break policy? you have the explore all possibilities in the scenario and gather as much information as you can and use "if/then" approach. You should try to assist the customer as best you can by looking into all possible options. 

The best answer in that scenario is that you take the person's story at face value and be sympathetic to their plight, and do as much as you can for them within the rules of your shop, for instance offer store credit for other items they need, bending the rules would be unethical. Otherwise if they are struggling enough that they need to return things for medical care, I would point them to social support in my community that could connect them with advocates to help obtain social assistance or through other charitable organizations who may be able to assist.

If the scenario was about a situation about the rules themselves being unethical, then you could discuss at what point doing the ethically right thing overcomes following rules.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:17 PM, applying2020 said:

For example for the situation they give in the casper sample test, with a person that is trying to return something to your shop without a receipt and says that he has a sick daughter, would breaking the rules to help her be a good idea? If not, if the person told you his daughter was dying and needed the money for some expensive treatment, would breaking the rules then be a good idea? 

I am no expert, but, I don't think it would be a good idea at all. Or, at least, it shouln't be your first instinct. I think the best thing to do in that situation is to show empathy, explain the person that you can't make the refund because you have certain rules to follow, but you could try to negociate something with your supervisor... and elaborate on it using an if/then strategy. What if the customer doesn't want you to talk to the supervisor? If you talk to your boss, what will you say, what is your strategy? If he/she can make the refund, problem solved. If not, what will you do? You should always explore all the possible solutions before considering breaking a rule. In that situation, if the object is not too expensive, maybe you could even consider giving him money out of your own pocket? Be creative. Don't jump to conclusions too quickly. Try not to make hasty decisions.

Good luck :)