Premed 101 Forums

Queen Margaret Physiotherapy

Hi Everyone,

Was wondering if someone could comment on the physio program at QMU. I've applied to Brighton, Manchester Met, Oxford Brookes, and QMU. Unfortunately I only got accepted into QMU and Manchester Met. I know Manchester is definitely not an option for me as I have only heard bad things about that school. Just wondering if someone who has recently gone to QMU, is thinking of going there, or knows someone who went there could comment on the program. The tuition is roughly 61k for the 2 years and I really need to make a decision on whether or not its worth it to pay that much. 

Thank you so much

I can't comment too much, but I've heard decent things about QMU overall, but not too much in regards to the PT program itself. 

It was my second choice in the UK due to the structure of the program and the location. From everyone I have spoken to, it seems as though budgeting around 100k for the two years in England is the norm. When you do the math, you will get the return on it if you plan on returning to Canada to practice. Ive known a few PT's who completed school within England, and returned to Canada to practice; within a few years of practice in Canada, they had everything paid off. 

Its definitely scary looking at the big numbers on this side. Ultimately, if I dont get accepted in Canada this round, I'll probably be headed to England. 

3 hours ago, WhoKnows2020 said:

When you do the math, you will get the return on it if you plan on returning to Canada to practice. Ive known a few PT's who completed school within England, and returned to Canada to practice; within a few years of practice in Canada, they had everything paid off. 

Paying back 100k "over a few years" on a PT salary/billings, is 33k/year. Very unlikely unless they are living at home with no expenses and putting the majority of their after-tax income to debt. 

37 minutes ago, physiowannabe6 said:

@JohnGrisham I am definitely not working to promote the school or affiliated with them in any way. I have just been put in tough situation and am really struggling with this decision.  

Sure, I think the question is then: Why did you apply to the UK in the first place? What drew you to that region, instead of Canada?  Did you apply all across Canada for PT admission? Have you improved your application as much as you can? 

Financially it can make sense, if you think you will never actually get into PT here in Canada. If you think you can get in somewhere here, then it may be worth it to reapply again in Canada.