Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Updated Selection Process Poll

McMaster Updated Selection Process Poll (answers are anonymous)  

121 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about McMaster's updated selection process? (answers are anonymous)

• I feel sad and/or angry.
    • I feel satisfied.

8 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

yea they look at Z scores, you can't be sure because we don't know the mean CARS and it's corresponding SD of all applicants. I think there is a calculator on the sub forum where someone somehow complied averages and SD based on the stats of what people post here but again, people lie and you can't be sure  

Mac posts class stats and you can use that to figure out SD and mean for GPA and CARS

edit: you can approximate it because they report these scores in buckets or ranges like 3.7-3.79 for GPA

1 minute ago, short_stack said:

Mac posts class stats and you can use that to figure out SD and mean for GPA and CARS

edit: you can approximate it because they report these scores in buckets or ranges like 3.7-3.79 for GPA

But even then we have no idea how the Casper distribution is so we don't really have an idea who the top 100 could be 

7 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

yea but those are for accepted. It would be more informative to find averages for all applicants to see what it takes for a certain GPA/CARS combo to get an interview. Then, you could approximate what Casper percentile you have. 

Yeah that's true but I think the wide range clearly seen in the class is probably relatively representative of the range of interviewees, at least. Because of the amount of waitlist movement and everything, it seems like a lot of variation can come in so it might not be perfectly representative of all interviewees, but I think it's a decent approximate.

6 minutes ago, lizaloo223 said:

But even then we have no idea how the Casper distribution is so we don't really have an idea who the top 100 could be 

Lol that's true unfortunately since we have no idea what cutoff would be considered enough to be selected for interview, there's not much more we can do with it. :rolleyes:

On 5/9/2020 at 4:28 PM, lizaloo223 said:

Do you think there's a lot of variance between Casper scores?

i feel like Casper was scored something like "below average" "average" or "above average" so it was easy to weed out people with bad Casper scores but once everyone gets an interview their Casper score is more or less similar. 

I heard it was scored out of 10, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being a perfect response.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:22 PM, William Osler said:

People really need to hold Mac accountable for not having alternative interview format like literally every other school in the country that adapted 

Guarantee you there will be a paper published on this cohort in a few years. I wonder how much this played into their decision-making.

If there is a way to do so, everyone who accepts their offer needs to withhold permission to use their data in their research papers.