Premed 101 Forums

Can someone describe a typical day or week during med school?

ceelbe

Hey guys, is there anyone who’s able to briefly describe what a day is usually like in McGill med school, let’s say first year or others too if you can. Like class start and finish for example. Just looking to see how much time would be spent in school/hospital versus home. Obviously there are many factors to be considered, but I’m more or less just curious right now. Thank you!! 

I can' t tell yet for clerkship, but the time that you will spend studying in pre-clinic can vary a lot depending on your previous background/knowledge and your studying style.

Typically: mornings = lectures; afternoons = learning activities (small groups, sim center, clinic, etc). Lectures are recorded and available online usually within 24h. Basically, what a lot of students do is to listen to the recordings at increased speed, this way you can save a little bit of time if that's something that works with you (I personally tend to zoom out when I listen to live lectures, so listening to them at 1.7x keeps me awake and more focused).

Again depending on your background, some blocks might be easier than others, but overall I'd say the work/life balance is great for the first 1 year and a half and you may be able to spend quite a lot of time at home, if that's what you wish. Hope this helps, you can message me if you have other questions :) 

1 hour ago, Elgar said:

I can' t tell yet for clerkship, but the time that you will spend studying in pre-clinic can vary a lot depending on your previous background/knowledge and your studying style.

Typically: mornings = lectures; afternoons = learning activities (small groups, sim center, clinic, etc). Lectures are recorded and available online usually within 24h. Basically, what a lot of students do is to listen to the recordings at increased speed, this way you can save a little bit of time if that's something that works with you (I personally tend to zoom out when I listen to live lectures, so listening to them at 1.7x keeps me awake and more focused).

Again depending on your background, some blocks might be easier than others, but overall I'd say the work/life balance is great for the first 1 year and a half and you may be able to spend quite a lot of time at home, if that's what you wish. Hope this helps, you can message me if you have other questions :) 

Awesome thanks so much that’s definitely helpful :) my background is working as an RN on a surgical unit at the Jewish General for a few years now so not sure if that’ll benefit me or not for the lecture material but yeah! Might actually message you if you don’t mind haha!