Premed 101 Forums

International medical schools

That study only includes 25 participants, none of whom are American or Canadian born. They are all immigrant IMGs whose regions of origin are Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, East Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. These physicians likely experienced contributory issues that had little to do with the fact that they were internationally trained.

@Biohedonist

A quite untraditional take on things but well since you’re considering going international just to skip your undergrad - see if you can move to Quebec and then go to an English cegep (2 years, equivalent of grade 12 and 1st year of uni) but you might have to redo your 1st year of cegep, which might even be a good thing because iirc you need 2 years of full time studies at Quebec to be considered an in-province applicant, so that you can apply to the 4 Quebec med schools directly from cegep (McGill + Montreal/Laval/Sherbrooke (latter 3 are all French schools))! The caveat is that you need to be very good in written/spoken French and comfortable talking in French (you need to score 87% on a specific French reading/listening test to be admissible at the 3 French schools, and you need to do you CASPer in French for 2 of the 3 French schools and your MMIs in French at every French med school), if not, your only chance is McGill but getting into med at McGill as a cegep applicant is notoriously harder than the 3 other med schools!

edit: I just went to check and no, there’s no such rule, but the fastest way for you to become an in-province applicant is to come to Quebec and stay there for 12 consecutive months WITHOUT going to school. On the bright side, after becoming a QC resident, you pay in-province tuition for cegep (almost free, assuming you go to a public cegep) and med school (only around 5-6k per year), and honestly Quebec is the BEST province by far when it comes to tuition fees!

39 minutes ago, Intrepid86 said:

That study only includes 25 participants, none of whom are American or Canadian born. They are all immigrant IMGs whose regions of origin are Sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia, East Asia, Latin America and the Middle East. These physicians likely experienced contributory issues that had little to do with the fact that they were internationally trained.

That is exactly why I made a point about Canadian-born IMGs with the second study.

Even with the second study, only 11 Canadians participated, and most of the 22 people in total weren't even in the final year of their program, where individual disparities, if present,  in perception and treatment have largely disappeared. The study is primarily focusing on some difficulties inherent in their transition to residency, in order to better support them, which is understandable since they come from having trained in outside medical systems. Once people become senior residents and Attendings, this stuff isn't even relevant anymore.

• 1 year later...

I'm glad you made your choice! In such matters, you always need to weigh the pros and cons. I think you did the right thing. But I also want to say that nothing stops you from continuing your studies. For a very long time, I tried to choose who I still want to be. I chose the profession of a phlebotomist, and I read a lot about it. By the way, it is very good when important information is collected on one site, like here https://phlebotomynearyou.com/phlebotomy-job-outlook/. It's better to concentrate this way. And in parallel with this, I learned that there are many online courses and workshops where you can develop your skills. Perhaps you will be able to attend such a seminar in person. This will also count as an experience you get from another institution. Or even from another country. I believe in you, good luck!