Premed 101 Forums

NAQ - Pharmacy Residency Experience

Hello Everyone!

I am a pharmacist and have completed a Canadian hospital pharmacy residency. This was a year long paid position involving a variety of 4 week clinical rotations (ie. ICU, cardiology, psychiatry etc) as well as a research project. I am debating how best to enter this type of experience. It will end up in the employment section of course. I am just curious what people think about the following strategies:

1. One 2500+ hour entry covering the residency year

2. Divided into multiple sections in order to give better description of each (ie. ICU rotation 250 hours, etc)

My concern with 1 is that it would be pretty tough to discuss the whole year in 350 characters. And of course option 2 might look odd as would require 8ish smaller entries.

Let me know what you think! All input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much

4 hours ago, uvicstudent said:

Hello Everyone!

I am a pharmacist and have completed a Canadian hospital pharmacy residency. This was a year long paid position involving a variety of 4 week clinical rotations (ie. ICU, cardiology, psychiatry etc) as well as a research project. I am debating how best to enter this type of experience. It will end up in the employment section of course. I am just curious what people think about the following strategies:

1. One 2500+ hour entry covering the residency year

2. Divided into multiple sections in order to give better description of each (ie. ICU rotation 250 hours, etc)

My concern with 1 is that it would be pretty tough to discuss the whole year in 350 characters. And of course option 2 might look odd as would require 8ish smaller entries.

Let me know what you think! All input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much

UBC generally does not want you to split up entries unless you really had different responsibilities or it really was a different position. People do this sometimes, but it’s generally advised against. And 8 entries is really too many. I don’t think it really gains you anything, and you’re actually kind of short changing yourself, because it will just read like a series of many short term jobs of 1-2 months. 

You don’t need to give the details of every specific rotation, just highlight the key responsibilities across rotations that speak to the criteria UBC evaluates the NAQs on (leadership, working with others, etc.). You can use the ‘clarify hours’ box to get in some of that context without wasting characters in the description. E.g. Use that box to explain that the 2500+ hours is split into rotations: ICU 250 hours, etc. etc. And then use the description box to highlight your responsibilities and the things you actually want to be assessed on.