Premed 101 Forums

Second Year Bird Courses

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recommend the 2nd year pharmacology course. Its an online course and the majority of the class are nursing students. The class is very easy but I also found the information very interesting.

Aside from that I would recommend the 2nd year evolution course. Its another easy/interesting course.

From what I heard, 3rd yr pathology courses are very hard and require tons of reading:mad:

I'm kind of debating btw the online pharmacology Vs. Astronomy with Dr. Southam/Brown... seems like both are easy but would astronomy still be an "easier" course?

I have been reading forum posting about that course an apparently first midterm and assignments are bird but last exam is like 160m/c questions, I was also looking at sex psyc as a 1.0 elective seems pretty easy no cumulative exams all m/c also @goolie09 are you in second year/ what other electives are you taking?

I changed my module this yr so I will be in my 3rd yr in BMSc

Im thinking of taking the online pharmacology as my "elective"..just wondering if this is a bad decision or not :confused:

I feel that the online pharm course is one of the few that are going to be both very easy and useful for a future in medicine.

+1. Easy 90, pretty interesting, great prof (if Stillman is still teaching it!)

Chemistry 2211A/B - Inorganic Elements in Life.

Although I recommend taking it in 3rd or 4th year once you have learned pretty much every concept in the course but in way more detail than you need for it.

The stupid thing is that astro search for life was full before my enrollment date so was immunology 2100A and physics faster and further so now I'm struggling to find 1.5 credits!

I was thinking Psychology human sexuality 2075 and physics earths atmosphere (2070a) or com sci 1033a any opinions on those, also if it comes down to it I might take calculus 2302a and classics 2200 mythology. I decided against the only pharm course only because I asked a few friends who had taken it and do generally well in school say that it is a lot of memorization of useless information and that even though it seems relevant to a career in medicine you will be taught it all again in med school :)

If anyone has taken any of the afore mentioned course and has input about them let me know thanks!!

I took Comp Sci 1033, easiest 94 I ever got...

10% of your grade is lab attendance. Although the labs are 3 hours, I was usually out of there in 1.5 hours. All you do is print out the lab instructions which are a series of steps and all you have to do is read the instructions and do it on the computer. At the end you show the TA that you have completed the lab and you get 1%. There are 10 labs for 10%, guaranteed full marks if you show up.

60% of your grade is assignments. There are 3 assignments, first one was make a poster in photoshop, second assignment was make a basic website and the third one was make a website with music and videos embedded. If you go to the labs all of this will be very easy to do. If you fulfill all the requirements (they give you a checklist of the things you NEED to have ie 3 different font types, 3 different shapes etc etc) you are guaranteed an 80 on the assignment, the prof even says this.

30% is the final exam. It was all multiple choice and was very easy. THe lecture material is easy to understand and the questions are not tricky at all.

If you are willing to put in a little time and effort into the assignments, this should be a guranteed 85 at least. The class average was 78 (it says on my transcript)...and this is a FIRST YEAR class! That says something lol.

I also took the astronomy with southam / brown. I got 86 in the class with very little effort. If you have a science background, you will do great. The multiple choice was very easy. Think about it, there are ~150 multiple choice questions....they aren't going to be hard questions at all. Actually, the midterm has 100 Qs, and the final had 180Qs. They were all very basic and only 4 choices per question. Some questions were T/F as well. HOWEVER....the key to doing well in this class is to READ THE TEXTBOOK. Each lecture corresponds to a chapter in the book and each chapter was about 25-30 pages. I also did the chapter review questions from each chapter and about 30% of exam questions came from the chapter review Qs.

hey nosuperman, what year are you in? I heard psych 2020, drugs and behaviour is good also 2070...social psych

Hey bpatient, I'll be starting a second undergrad at UWO in September, so technically first year... but I have a Biology degree with a Psych minor so I can transfer credits and get those upper year courses. I took social psych at my old school and it was an easy A, I'll check out the drugs course, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

When I took Psych 2075 - Human Sexuality.... I took the online version which proved to be pretty easy given you did all the readings.

10% for contributing to the discussion board... which was about 1 decent post every 2 weeks or so with the TA's we had.

Three 30% exams which were not cumulative and just came from the text.

No christmas exam.... and although the prof had online slides they were negligible and no questions from the exam came from them.

Most importantly no lecture component for a full year....

I'm not sure if it's still offered online though... I think it was being taught by a PhD when I took it...

Also, with regards to the astro... Origins with Weigert is wayyyyyy easier than search for life and much more interesting.

Search for life, despite not being too hard was a long night class if you chose to go and involved a fair amount of reading...... and the 180 question final was pretty tricky and took forever to do...

I came out with an 86 in Search for life with moderate effort, and came out with a mid 90 in origins of life with next to no effort. That's not intended to be a braggy, I'm so smart comment... it was just that easy.

There's also a few good classics courses.... Sport and Antiquity.... and also the Classics of English or something along those lines.... and a bunch of good Geography courses.... Although it can be done, it's pretty hard to go wrong with the geography electives. Geography of Canada, Ontario and the great lakes, world cities.... all were pretty easy when I took them...

One geo course I'll recommend with caution is GEOGRAPH 2143B - FOUNDATNS OF GEOG OF WRLD BUS....

This course has the same prof and is presumably run the same way.....

The prof is terrible as far as I'm concerned and the quizzes are tough but the course structure is amazing....

You write something like 8 quizzes during the course.... the quizzes are generally only one or two weeks of material, mind you he manages somehow to get through 900 slides in one week and will ask very obscure questions.

HOWEVER, he'll take your best 6 of the 8 quizzes... and if you're happy with the mark that gives you that's your final mark.

If you don't like that mark, you can write the final and have it be worth 50% of your final mark.

So if you put in the time.... I was able to get an 87 after the first 6 quizzes and I was done..... I didn't have to write the last 2 quizzes or the final.... haha so I was finished the course like 4 weeks early and had one less final to worry about.... So it was amazing in that respect although the quizzes weren't a cakewalk by any means.

• 2 weeks later...

There's also a few good classics courses.... Sport and Antiquity.... and also the Classics of English or something along those lines.... and a bunch of good Geography courses.... Although it can be done, it's pretty hard to go wrong with the geography electives. Geography of Canada, Ontario and the great lakes, world cities.... all were pretty easy when I took them...

One geo course I'll recommend with caution is GEOGRAPH 2143B - FOUNDATNS OF GEOG OF WRLD BUS....

This course has the same prof and is presumably run the same way.....

The prof is terrible as far as I'm concerned and the quizzes are tough but the course structure is amazing....

You write something like 8 quizzes during the course.... the quizzes are generally only one or two weeks of material, mind you he manages somehow to get through 900 slides in one week and will ask very obscure questions.

HOWEVER, he'll take your best 6 of the 8 quizzes... and if you're happy with the mark that gives you that's your final mark.

If you don't like that mark, you can write the final and have it be worth 50% of your final mark.

So if you put in the time.... I was able to get an 87 after the first 6 quizzes and I was done..... I didn't have to write the last 2 quizzes or the final.... haha so I was finished the course like 4 weeks early and had one less final to worry about.... So it was amazing in that respect although the quizzes weren't a cakewalk by any means.

Hey supafield, I was planning on taking classics 2300 (sport and antiquity) and geography 2143.

Did you take 2300 and if so was it easy/hard, boring etc? Also, for 2143, is the optional textbook worth getting? and what were the formats of the quizzes (MC, short answer, etc)?

And has anyone take Physics 2070 (Earth's atmosphere)? and if so how was it overall?

Archived