Premed 101 Forums

Second Year Bird Courses

3330B Epidemiology and Biostatistics

and Clinical Biochemistry 3386B

does anyone have anything to say about these classes

clinical biochem is boring but a very straightforward course. make sure you enroll early though. going to classes isn't necessary (in fact towards the end of last year, the attendance dropped down to maybe a third) cause you just have to memorize the course pack. not cummulative, 50/50 midterm and final

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I decided to take GEO 2143 as an elective after hearing about the favourable grading scheme. Does anyone know what kind of questions are on the quiz and if they have any past examples.

The prof is really vague and I want to do very well on the quizzes as to avoid a final exam and have 1 less course to worry about.

So I decided to take GEO 2143 as an elective after hearing about the favourable grading scheme. Does anyone know what kind of questions are on the quiz and if they have any past examples.

The prof is really vague and I want to do very well on the quizzes as to avoid a final exam and have 1 less course to worry about.

OMG I am just going on to ask about the same question. I would like to know whether he will ask a lot of questions on the movies. And yea the prof isn't really the best.

• 1 month later...
[...] Social Psychology (which is offered this winter) on the other hand was interesting, very straightforward and taught by an excellent prof (Olson). It's always a good idea to check out the course evaluations (google "course evaluations uwo") and ratemyprof.com but you'll see that students generally do well in his class. The lectures mirror the textbook very closely. Use the textbook resources, pay attention to the videos in class and DVD, memorize the experiments and you should do well!

just fyi: turned out to be a sweet suggestion. class is pretty awesome. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Psychology 2040A/B - Child Development

A survey of theory and research in developmental psychology including learning, cognition, perception, personality, and social development in infancy and childhood.

Antirequisite(s): Psychology 2044, 2410A/B, 2480E, Health Sciences 2700A/B and the former 3700A/B.

Prerequisite(s):

anyone ever taken this? any feedback? looking at it for next year as an elective. thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey so I finished second year taking sex psych 2070, physics 2065 as my electives. Sex psych 2070 was pretty easy until the 3rd midterm which was ridiculously hard however I still ended up with 4.0 in that course. Physics 2065 (going faster and further) taught by R.J. Sica was a JOKE!! easiest physics ever, case and point, first exam short answer asked about the speed at the bottom of slide after being told a boys height initially the slide (simple conservation of energy problem). I had some friends take psych 2040 and drug psych,, they all said, STAY AWAY FROM THOSE. The drug psych has 180 T/F with deductions for wrong answer and midterm times that overlap with genetics cell biology. Psych 2040 apparently had a lot of readings and the exams are hard. Now on to 3rd bird courses :D I'm thinking physics 2070 taught by sica and maybe classics any suggestions?

you might want to take a look at this:

"Recent development: students who take any of Astronomy 2021A/B, 2022A/B,

Physics 2065A/B, Physics 2070A/B in the future (Sept 2011 onward) WILL LOSE CREDIT FOR THEIR FIRST-YEAR PHYSICS COURSE! This is unfortunate news for BMSc students as these were popular options. We'll send out updates and information about courses/registration in early June. "

SOURCE: facebook group ( http://www.facebook.com/bmscprogram )

so what exactly does that mean? will the first year physics course just disappear off their transcript :S

you might want to take a look at this:

Physics 2065A/B, Physics 2070A/B in the future (Sept 2011 onward) WILL LOSE CREDIT FOR THEIR FIRST-YEAR PHYSICS COURSE! This is unfortunate news for BMSc students as these were popular options. We'll send out updates and information about courses/registration in early June. "

SOURCE: facebook group ( http://www.facebook.com/bmscprogram )

so what exactly does that mean? will the first year physics course just disappear off their transcript :S

Nope it probably simply means there will be a minor penalty for already having taken the first year physics course. 3% or 5% or however much they feel is sufficient off your final mark in the class. Its just their attempt to stop kids taking courses as bird courses. Prof's must have complained about inattentive students or something.

Personally though i had taken first year physics and search for life in the universe and i didn't find anything that put me at a serious advantage for already taking physics... the material was a joke.. i could've done it in gr 11..

Losing credit for a course usually means that you lose a credit off your transcript, not that you get a percentage penalty.

As in, if you need 20.0 credits to graduate, taking courses that violate the anti-requisite rules will mean you lose the credit for the course, not lose the mark for the course.

So someone who takes 1st year Physics and then takes one of the 200 levels will end up with 19 (or maybe they only take off a half credit so 19.5) credits and would not have enough credits to graduate. It's one of those things to prevent people from getting credit for the same material if courses are deemed to overlap too much.

• 2 weeks later...
Losing credit for a course usually means that you lose a credit off your transcript, not that you get a percentage penalty.

As in, if you need 20.0 credits to graduate, taking courses that violate the anti-requisite rules will mean you lose the credit for the course, not lose the mark for the course.

So someone who takes 1st year Physics and then takes one of the 200 levels will end up with 19 (or maybe they only take off a half credit so 19.5) credits and would not have enough credits to graduate. It's one of those things to prevent people from getting credit for the same material if courses are deemed to overlap too much.

OK- that makes sense, well what if we have taken summer courses in the past and thus have more than the 20 credits that we need to graduate? Are we able to take one of the Sica courses and thus even if they dock you for a penalty - I have 1.0 extra to spare? Correct me if I'm wrong

i would imagine that would work. i have a friend using the summer to make up for taking more than 7 first year.

but what if you apply to a school that requires first year physics?... if you lose ur credit.. would you styll be able to use that as a prereq?

this sounds like it can get complicated lol.

I'm heading into Year 2 of BMSc (Micro + Imm) and I want my 1.0 elective to satisfy my Category B (humanities) breadth requirement. Classics 2200 (Mythology) and 2300 (Sports and Recreation) look to be the easiest, but are there any more courses I should look at (philosophy perhaps)?

Also, for anyone who knows about both Classics courses, exam format etc., which one would you suggest?

I'm heading into Year 2 of BMSc (Micro + Imm) and I want my 1.0 elective to satisfy my Category B (humanities) breadth requirement. Classics 2200 (Mythology) and 2300 (Sports and Recreation) look to be the easiest, but are there any more courses I should look at (philosophy perhaps)?

Also, for anyone who knows about both Classics courses, exam format etc., which one would you suggest?

I took 2300. I found it to be really interesting and the prof I had, Lamari, was a great lecturer. There were 3 MC exams (Nov, Feb, Apr), so it was nice not to have a Christmas exam. The exams were based on the notes and the textbooks and were very easy if you paid attention in class and read the text. I would recommend it.

I only took 2200, very easy course, you can get away with at least 85 without any readings and just focus on the lecture notes. if you are willing to do some extra readings, then 90+ for sure.

I only took 2200, very easy course, you can get away with at least 85 without any readings and just focus on the lecture notes. if you are willing to do some extra readings, then 90+ for sure.

How about the grading scheme? Was the final cumulative? I'm interested in this course, but some people say 2300 is easier as it has a non-cumulative final.

Also, has anyone taken Business 2257? I want to try getting into Ivey, but apparently 2257's like the Organic Chem of business courses. Anyone have any input?

Thanks guys

I will add my two cents. For sure take the classics (greek and latin roots) course that everyone is describing. But, make sure you definitely take Physics of sport 2065. That was the easiest course I've ever taken hands down (no wonder the class fills up in a day).

I will add my two cents. For sure take the classics (greek and latin roots) course that everyone is describing. But, make sure you definitely take Physics of sport 2065. That was the easiest course I've ever taken hands down (no wonder the class fills up in a day).

Definitely agree about the Classics! I took Classics 2200 and I thought it was interesting. I think it's pretty easy to do well in if you keep up.

Be cautious about the physics for this upcoming year, though:

Physics 2065A/B, Physics 2070A/B in the future (Sept 2011 onward) WILL LOSE CREDIT FOR THEIR FIRST-YEAR PHYSICS COURSE! This is unfortunate news for BMSc students as these were popular options. We'll send out updates and information about courses/registration in early June."

^Posted by one of the BMSc counsellors on the BMSc Facebook page.

hey,

felix lee sent out an e mail saying chem 2210 and 2211 were electives... i've seen both of them commented on in the past itt. 2211 looked like the better choice, and dr. lee is teaching it. does anyone have any further experience with either course?

thanks

• 10 months later...

LOL. apparently i love this thread. hopefully i get some replies this time :cool:

just wondering if anyone's ever taken either of the following courses. i've been trying to decide for a while which one to take in intersession (yes, i left it 'til fairly late), but just realized i could resort to here to find some additional input on the courses. anyway, i'm interested mostly in a) level of difficulty; B) whether the content's interesting; c) whether the profs are good. without further ado....:

Philosophy 1305F/G - Questions of the Day This course develops students' ability to approach disputed questions by seeing them from both sides, so that they reach their own view only after respecting a broad range of argument. Six questions will be considered, including human (over) population, the public funding of art, and the limits of religious freedom.

(with prof proessel)

Philosophy 2073F/G - Death The meaning and moral importance of death will be explored through a series of questions: What is death? Is death a bad thing? Do people survive death? What do we mean when we say that someone is "dying"? Should knowledge of death change the way we live our lives?

(with prof mcginnis)

just fyi: turned out to be a sweet suggestion. class is pretty awesome. thanks

Hey Markov,

I saw that you took Social Psych. If you don't mind, can you kinda briefly explain about the course? I am thinking of taking it between Social Psych and Human Mind.

1. How much reading do we have to do? Any minor assignments along with it?

2. How was prof?

3. So all exams are non-cumulative?

4. Any advice, overall thoughts about this course, any tips to get a good mark in this course?

PS. If you know somebody who took Human Mind (psych 2010), what did they say about this course?

Hey Markov,

I saw that you took Social Psych. If you don't mind, can you kinda briefly explain about the course? I am thinking of taking it between Social Psych and Human Mind.

1. How much reading do we have to do? Any minor assignments along with it?

2. How was prof?

3. So all exams are non-cumulative?

4. Any advice, overall thoughts about this course, any tips to get a good mark in this course?

PS. If you know somebody who took Human Mind (psych 2010), what did they say about this course?

heyo,

there's a fair bit of reading, because the text is "testable". he (olson) also sometimes asks some random questions. one was about what subjects in some experiment did... which was like "... what?" but then again if you do the readings well, then you'd know that Q.

i didn't have any assignments, and i doubt he'd change it up. when i took it, it was 30/30/40 midterm1/midterm2/final. i think he changed it to 45/55 midterm/final (ie only one midterm), which is slightly more daunting, but it's not horrible. the final is cumulative in the way that most courses are. like, it's 70-80% focused on the last part of the course, and 20-30% is on the previous material.

re: doing well. it's straightforward and the material is pretty easy to understand, and the questions aren't usually that tricky or whatever, so those are what make it "easier", imo. also, you gotta make sure you do the readings, as well as go to class to watch the random videos he shows, and get the CD that goes with the class to watch those, as well. he asks random questions about the class vids and the cd ("what ethnicity/race was the woman getting interviewed in the chapter X video on the cd-rom?"; "what species of animal was seen defending their young in the video shown in class when the lions attacked?" SRS) i think it's just a way of rewarding you for doing the required work.

finally, as for 2010, i don't think it was recommended to me by my one friend in psych, but that doesn't say much... since it's one person's opinion vs truth (unless you're asking ken jennings, that is... lols). when i checked it out, it didn't sound that great/easy anyway.

hope that helps! let me know if you have any other questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived