Premed 101 Forums

Second Year Bird Courses

Just took 2043A with Goldberg and it was pretty easy. 2 tests (50/50) and non-cumulative final. I just did the regular stuff (go to class/take notes/studied probably the least of my 5 courses) and came out with an A+.

Many of the psych students were a little overwhelmed at the start of the second half when we covered genetic predispositions and some light physiology for hearing/visual/cognitive disorders... so if you've got any sort of background in that stuff you're set.

Any recommendations on HS courses?

Looking into 2043 Online... anyone else have anything to say about this course?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also looking into Pharm 2060B online.. reviews?

My second semester would be phys 2130, chem 2223B(orgo), pharm 2060, genetics and cell bio?

too much?

i think my (sample size of two) surveying has come back saying that pharm 2060 is a bit of a pain but not bad. my question is why dont you want to get a humanities course or social sci course in there? 2060 isnt even necessary as a pre req for anything, is it? i dont meant to come off as prying or angry! im just curious. i know that some of the easiest courses ive taken have been hum/Soc sci courses, so they might lighten your workload. (different strokes i guess, though. maybe sci courses are your forte?) but also it adds variety to your courses and they can be interesting, too! so i was jw why you were loading up on the sci courses. i understand that phys is a full year course? so yeah. but yeah jw why you werent interested in something else?

i guess i was jw how you ended up with 5 sci courses in one sem lols. but i did see that you were checking out paych courses like 2070. but yeah jw how/why that potential schedule was on the table haha.

I'm the type of person who, if im not interested in something, I don't give a, for a lack of a better term, sh*t about it. So I'd rather work a bit harder/spend more time on something I like than anything else. But, yes I have been looking at 2070. Is it really that easy? It seems extremely boring to me... I've also seen that you've taken it in other posts... Did you enjoy it? and if so Why?

I'm the type of person who, if im not interested in something, I don't give a, for a lack of a better term, sh*t about it. So I'd rather work a bit harder/spend more time on something I like than anything else. But, yes I have been looking at 2070. Is it really that easy? It seems extremely boring to me... I've also seen that you've taken it in other posts... Did you enjoy it? and if so Why?

yeah, sorry, i just cited that as an example. it was aigh. i found it pretty easy. but i'm prob the typical "i do fine in science classes, and am better at psych courses, because i find them to be easy." or whatev. if it's boring, then whatev.

i did enjoy it, cause it was interesting. HOWEVER, it was a lot of "i coulda guessed that..." which is part of what made it easy, i guess. but ya if it doesn't look interesting, whatever, as i said. rock what you want, for sure.

• 1 year later...

Some other courses I was wondering about:

Intermediate Calculus I and II (Calculus 2302/2303)

Organismal Physiology (Biology 2601)

Genetics (Biology 2581)

Cell Biology (Biology 2382)

Biology 2244 vs Statistics 2244

Intermediate Electromagnetism (Physics 2101)

Human Physiology (Physiology 2130 and 3120)

Modern Physics (Physics 2102)

Oscillations & Waves (Physics 2110)

Introduction to Medical Physics (Physics 2600)

Organic Chemistry I and II (Chemistry 2273/2283 vs 2213/2223)

Biochemistry 2280

Thermodynamics (Chemistry 2734)

I know these are a lot of courses, but thoughts on any of them would be great!

• 3 weeks later...
Some other courses I was wondering about:

Intermediate Calculus I and II (Calculus 2302/2303)

Organismal Physiology (Biology 2601)

Genetics (Biology 2581)

Cell Biology (Biology 2382)

Biology 2244 vs Statistics 2244

Intermediate Electromagnetism (Physics 2101)

Human Physiology (Physiology 2130 and 3120)

Modern Physics (Physics 2102)

Oscillations & Waves (Physics 2110)

Introduction to Medical Physics (Physics 2600)

Organic Chemistry I and II (Chemistry 2273/2283 vs 2213/2223)

Biochemistry 2280

Thermodynamics (Chemistry 2734)

I know these are a lot of courses, but thoughts on any of them would be great!

bio 2244 and stats 2244 are the exact same course, same labs, same profs etc., there just happen to be 2 listings of it, one being bio and the other being stats. Definitely not a course you want to be taking as an elective, but unfortunately it's required for most of the BMSc modules. It's not impossible to do well in it (I finished with a 3.9 in the course), but the exams are full of really ambiguous questions that you're never really sure you understand correctly. Luckily not a huge amount of content though

phys 2130 I am currently taking, so I haven't finished the course, but so far not only have [most] of the profs been great, but the content has been very interesting, and the midterms very straightforward (no tricks, 90+ relatively easy with studying). I hear the cumulative final is challenging though

I took both orgos in the summer, and posted about them in another thread in the western sub-forum, but basically my experience was that they were tough (the first one moreso), although not impossible to do well in. Mostly in part due to the pace being so fast in the summer but also orgo is known to be a pretty tough coursse

biochem 2280, unlike bio 2244, the actual content isn't too difficult to understand, but the volume of content is very great and there's a lot to memorize. This year at least, the first midterm was tough but fair, but the final exam was very tough and a portion of it required major application skills on obscure topics. That being said, final marks are not yet out for the course so it's possible they adjusted for the difficulty level of the final. To be honest I found the final exam mostly fair really, just very tough, but most of my classmates were up in arms about how unfair it was.

Hope that helps

bio 2244 and stats 2244 are the exact same course, same labs, same profs etc., there just happen to be 2 listings of it, one being bio and the other being stats. Definitely not a course you want to be taking as an elective, but unfortunately it's required for most of the BMSc modules. It's not impossible to do well in it (I finished with a 3.9 in the course), but the exams are full of really ambiguous questions that you're never really sure you understand correctly. Luckily not a huge amount of content though

phys 2130 I am currently taking, so I haven't finished the course, but so far not only have [most] of the profs been great, but the content has been very interesting, and the midterms very straightforward (no tricks, 90+ relatively easy with studying). I hear the cumulative final is challenging though

I took both orgos in the summer, and posted about them in another thread in the western sub-forum, but basically my experience was that they were tough (the first one moreso), although not impossible to do well in. Mostly in part due to the pace being so fast in the summer but also orgo is known to be a pretty tough coursse

biochem 2280, unlike bio 2244, the actual content isn't too difficult to understand, but the volume of content is very great and there's a lot to memorize. This year at least, the first midterm was tough but fair, but the final exam was very tough and a portion of it required major application skills on obscure topics. That being said, final marks are not yet out for the course so it's possible they adjusted for the difficulty level of the final. To be honest I found the final exam mostly fair really, just very tough, but most of my classmates were up in arms about how unfair it was.

Hope that helps

Great advice, I agree with everything you said. Biochem isn't suppose to be hard but the final this year was pretty bad, especially the last 20 or so questions. And this is coming from someone who went into the final with almost 100%. So many people complained about it that they even posted something telling us not to worry, so hopefully marks will be adjusted accordingly. Would I say the final was unfair? Overall no, but there were definitely certain questions that were really out there.

Stats2244 wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. The final was extremely fair (but the class avg was 64%, not sure why) and the labs were free marks. You can literally get a free 30% in the course cause of the labs and clickers, so definitely don't neglect the labs. Just keep pestering your TAs. The only thing bad about stats is the second midterm, but then again it's only worth 20%. There's no curving in this course, and the final course avg turned out to be 72, which isn't bad at all. I personally finished with low-mid 90s and trust me, I suck at math related numbers stuff, so it's VERY possible to do well. Just don't go in thinking you're doomed to fail. The only complaint I have for this course is the fact that the midterms are out of something like 20 or 25. No room for mistakes and they're not easy by any means -- both midterms were the lowest marks I got in undergrad.

Great advice, I agree with everything you said. Biochem isn't suppose to be hard but the final this year was pretty bad, especially the last 20 or so questions. And this is coming from someone who went into the final with almost 100%. So many people complained about it that they even posted something telling us not to worry, so hopefully marks will be adjusted accordingly. Would I say the final was unfair? Overall no, but there were definitely certain questions that were really out there.

Stats2244 wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. The final was extremely fair (but the class avg was 64%, not sure why) and the labs were free marks. You can literally get a free 30% in the course cause of the labs and clickers, so definitely don't neglect the labs. Just keep pestering your TAs. The only thing bad about stats is the second midterm, but then again it's only worth 20%. There's no curving in this course, and the final course avg turned out to be 72, which isn't bad at all. I personally finished with low-mid 90s and trust me, I suck at math related numbers stuff, so it's VERY possible to do well. Just don't go in thinking you're doomed to fail. The only complaint I have for this course is the fact that the midterms are out of something like 20 or 25. No room for mistakes and they're not easy by any means -- both midterms were the lowest marks I got in undergrad.

I think Brandl was just pissed that his exam got leaked onto the internet

• 2 years later...

Can you guys please suggest any second year elective that is 0.5 credit? I need another social sciences/humanities course for pharmacy at waterloo, and comp sci 1033 does not qualify, so I will need to drop it. I already have 1.5 of psych courses (which I just realized I can only use 1.0 max of one subject), and I think I may be able to use a .5 of my english credit. So I will need something that would be easy to complete, 0.5 credit that I can enroll in for second semester (hopefully not full yet) 

Archived