Premed 101 Forums

Second Year Bird Courses

I've taken both social psych and the human mind, and social psych is unequivocally easier, more interesting, and more informative than human mind. I've taken my share of psychology courses (probably like 8-10 different ones), and the human mind was the worst of them all.

I LOVE psychology, and I was initially really excited for 2010A when I registered, but it turned out to be SO dry and boring.. the slides were nothing but dense paragraphs of text, and the prof would not only fill up the entire three hour time slot (2:30-5:30), he'd often go past the time and keep us there until 5:45/6:00.. I always faithfully stayed until the end because I don't like missing psychology lectures; the things they mention in passing somehow always end up on the exams.

Granted, this was three years ago, so he may have restructured the course since then and maybe thrown a flow-chart or two into his slides, lol. I always found it ironic that a course centered around the theories of learning didn't use any of the techniques it taught about (like diagrams), lol. But, I digress.. take social psych. I took it with Sorrentino and enjoyed it, but I've heard both profs are great. :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Philosophy 2073F/G - Death The meaning and moral importance of death will be explored through a series of questions: What is death? Is death a bad thing? Do people survive death? What do we mean when we say that someone is "dying"? Should knowledge of death change the way we live our lives?

(with prof mcginnis)

OMG WHY DID I NOT SEE THIS TILL NOWWW?

Prof McGinnis is the funniest. Please tell me you chose this course. I took a different course with him, and he was pushing for us all to take his death course in intersession.

I've taken both social psych and the human mind, and social psych is unequivocally easier, more interesting, and more informative than human mind. I've taken my share of psychology courses (probably like 8-10 different ones), and the human mind was the worst of them all.

I LOVE psychology, and I was initially really excited for 2010A when I registered, but it turned out to be SO dry and boring.. the slides were nothing but dense paragraphs of text, and the prof would not only fill up the entire three hour time slot (2:30-5:30), he'd often go past the time and keep us there until 5:45/6:00.. I always faithfully stayed until the end because I don't like missing psychology lectures; the things they mention in passing somehow always end up on the exams.

Granted, this was three years ago, so he may have restructured the course since then and maybe thrown a flow-chart or two into his slides, lol. I always found it ironic that a course centered around the theories of learning didn't use any of the techniques it taught about (like diagrams), lol. But, I digress.. take social psych. I took it with Sorrentino and enjoyed it, but I've heard both profs are great. :)

WOW, really? I actually thought Human Mind course is really interesting. I guess the prof ruined it lol Thanks for sharing your experience!! :)

OMG WHY DID I NOT SEE THIS TILL NOWWW?

Prof McGinnis is the funniest. Please tell me you chose this course. I took a different course with him, and he was pushing for us all to take his death course in intersession.

LOL srs? i went with the other one, cause "death" looked as morbid as anything. darn. all i had to base my opinion on was his picture, http://publish.uwo.ca/~nmcginni/, LOL. kidding. i think when i looked at the ratings for the courses and what not, they were about the same, so i was like kay whatever.

LOL... that is frigging amazing. the other course is all right. gotta work for your marks, and as someone who's a newbie at philosophy, it's not good. thank goodness i'm taking it in the summer. i suppose it'll affect my queen's and mac cgpas, but whatever... we're all ready hanging at the cooler school anyway ;) . so i wouldn't say this one's a bird, but it's at least kind of interesting. learning something new, too, i guess. i dunno if it's really worth taking, though, LOL.

Haha, aw. Maybe it's one of those courses that you'll look back at when you're 93 and tell your grandkids, "Back when I was a wee lassy, I learned all these wonderful things about life, and I learned how to ask questions. And now I will teach it to you, my dear conformist little creatures." So I'm sure it's not all bad :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Would it be too much if I take the children's literature course and social psych?

I have a feeling that that is too much readings?

any suggestions?

sorry i dont know about the literature, just want to ask for the psy

you take the pro olson or serrentino?

Would it be too much if I take the children's literature course and social psych?

I have a feeling that that is too much readings?

any suggestions?

Honestly, I took the Children's Lit over the summer and it wasn't too much reading. Most of the books are extremely short, that you can finish within the span of 3 hours. You also only have to read one book a week. I also took social psych over the school year, and I didn't do too well on it because I literally crammed all the readings the day before the exam. But I think if you spend about 5 hours a week reading the Soc. Psych. Textbook you should be able to do really well.

To summarize, you can do the readings for both courses without a problem, in my opinion.

Social psych is jokes. Guaranteed good grade if you do the work.

Prof doesn't really matter. Olson + Sorrentino are both good.

thank you but i searched the ratemypro but on there really bad comments about sorrentino...many said that he really bad at explaining and easily make students confused...

maybe he's just good at social psy but not so good at others?

thank you but i searched the ratemypro but on there really bad comments about sorrentino...many said that he really bad at explaining and easily make students confused...

maybe he's just good at social psy but not so good at others?

The exams are mostly from the textbook and its the same text in both sections.

Trust me, it's easy with both. It's basically just fact recall and about experiments from the text.

And if you really want Olson, you can always drop geo2144 for it. I wouldn't mind taking your spot ;). I've been trying to get in all summer lol.

The exams are mostly from the textbook and its the same text in both sections.

Trust me' date=' it's easy with both. It's basically just fact recall and about experiments from the text.

And if you really want Olson, you can always drop geo2144 for it. I wouldn't mind taking your spot ;). I've been trying to get in all summer lol.[/quote']

thank you for your advice

geo 2144.. yes it's really a popular course

even easier than psy 2070 haha, sorry i wont drop it~;)

yet you still have time, stay in student center. I took this spot last week, hope you are lucky to find one:)

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone recommend a statistical course?

Now my choices are

eco 2122/2123, professor Striling

stat science 2035, pro Steve Kopp

mos 2242 with another 0.5 stat course

BEG FOR ADVICES!

I hear that Psych Stats isn't that bad. I've never heard of anyone taking the above listed courses. Personally, I took Stats 2244 (Biostats), but you seem to be able to take any Stats course you want, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I hear that Psych Stats isn't that bad. I've never heard of anyone taking the above listed courses. Personally, I took Stats 2244 (Biostats), but you seem to be able to take any Stats course you want, so I wouldn't recommend it.

my module requirement is this

1.0 course normally taken in second year from: MOS 2242A/B or any 2000-level 0.5 Statistics course and 0.5 MOS 2000-level or above; Economics� 2122A/B* and Economics� 2123A/B*; Statistical Sciences 2035.

I don't really want to take mos since last year that course 1021 taught by O'brien IMPRESSED me a lot:mad: .........my friends said above are terrible..are all those above hell for a person without any stat knowledge?:confused:

my module requirement is this

1.0 course normally taken in second year from: MOS 2242A/B or any 2000-level 0.5 Statistics course and 0.5 MOS 2000-level or above; Economics� 2122A/B* and Economics� 2123A/B*; Statistical Sciences 2035.

I don't really want to take mos since last year that course 1021 taught by O'brien IMPRESSED me a lot:mad: .........my friends said above are terrible..are all those above hell for a person without any stat knowledge?:confused:

So if you don't want to do any of the MOS ones, it seems like you have to decide between Economics 2122A/B + Economics 2123A/B or Statistical Sciences 2035. I don't think you're likely to find someone on here who is taken either of those (because I don't think there are too many business people on here), but you could get lucky. Sorry I can't help you out!

P.S. Ratemyprof and the official evaluations are key to life.

So if you don't want to do any of the MOS ones, it seems like you have to decide between Economics 2122A/B + Economics 2123A/B or Statistical Sciences 2035. I don't think you're likely to find someone on here who is taken either of those (because I don't think there are too many business people on here), but you could get lucky. Sorry I can't help you out!

P.S. Ratemyprof and the official evaluations are key to life.

thank you for your advice!

i searched those two websites....seems they are both nightmare for students..

i guess i must step into the hell next year..

Archived