Premed 101 Forums

Summer Decision NSERC vs French Immersion

Renoir

Personally I would go for the NSERC (because... yeah I like working at labs lol)

I have nothing against French Immersion program as it is an absolutely great resource (it also sounds like you're more interested in doing the FI than NSERC :P).

Doing an NSERC right now would mean you have a better chance of having a publication by the time you apply.

You might not do well next upcoming year in school and prevent you from getting the NSERC grant (I don't want to say that you aren't but I just wanted to imagine the worst possible scenario :P).

If you look at it from the other side, the FI program will always be there too.

But you see, this is my personal opinion and I enjoy working at the lab and encountering academic challenges (although... not so much when it's your first time... you'll be encountering technical challenges).

Either way would be fine for your application for medical schools. I don't think any one of the two choices would be better for your application. But I DO think it would be better for YOU if you do something you really want to do.

:)

Hey guys, long time, no talk - still skulking the what's everyone doing thread once in while tho. :P

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on summer occupation choice:

I'm first year Environmental/Bio at a small uni, and am currently at 3.9 (4pt scale) full time. There are 5 NSERC USRA spots with 20 applicants, but I've been thinking that the opportunity for research will still be here next summer when I'll actually benefit from having some 300-level sciences under my belt rather than just intro. Also, $4500 is a bit stingy for four months, and I could probably use my former job to make a little more cash than that, even though that is not the primary goal.

Overall, I'm relaxed about the idea, but I've really been looking at a 5 week french immersion program which I would take for no credit (don't want to bump my scores down as a third year mentioned about the program to me today). I think that better fluency in french would be an enviable application line, and It'd be great for personal reasons too! Then I could work the rest of the summer, volunteer a bit more, and generally prep for 2nd year.

Am I being foolish for turning down NSERC? I was told by the profs at the USRA meeting that we'd likely get our names on published work, but I think it'd be moreso next year with more knowledge and usefulness to offer as an undergrad. Anyhow, you're all really balanced and knowledgeable, so I would really love your input, good or bad.

As always, cheers, and best on your studies! - M

Hm... I know someone who managed to work out a deal with the prof he did research for. He worked for 2 of those 4 months to make money, and spent the remaining two months doing research. True story.

What is your current fluency like in French right now? I was actually thinking of doing a french program like the one you are suggesting, but with a GPA of 3.9 oh my gosh, I think you are very competitive at the non-french speaking schools.

What are your EC's like? How much do you think you could benefit from the research your proposing? Quite frankly, maybe you won't get a publication in the four months you do a research for this prof, but if you continue on and get a publication that would benefit you quite a bit. Ideally, you could get a good reference from this prof, a publication, and valuable research experience.

i have so many friends that did j'explore and i never heard one bad thing about it (from maybe 10 people), they all say it was an amazing experience, research was ok, but didn't look as fun as their fb pictures from the program :) why not do one this summer and one the next?

i'm starting to think about how speaking french could be of benefit even after medical school if one decides to apply to difficult program: having sherbrooke, laval, mcgill and montreal open would be huge pluses if you were aiming for road or something else competitive!

Hm... I know someone who managed to work out a deal with the prof he did research for. He worked for 2 of those 4 months to make money, and spent the remaining two months doing research. True story.

What is your current fluency like in French right now? I was actually thinking of doing a french program like the one you are suggesting, but with a GPA of 3.9 oh my gosh, I think you are very competitive at the non-french speaking schools.

What are your EC's like? How much do you think you could benefit from the research your proposing? Quite frankly, maybe you won't get a publication in the four months you do a research for this prof, but if you continue on and get a publication that would benefit you quite a bit. Ideally, you could get a good reference from this prof, a publication, and valuable research experience.

Even if you do get an NSERC award this year, it doesn't mean that you can't do more research in other summers as well. Having that under your belt will make you more attractive to other PIs if you want to work in their lab next summer or even during the year. I would personally go for the NSERC award if you can get it because the french immersion program will still be there next summer and it probably isn't as hard to get into as getting an NSERC :)

Also, keep in mind that even though the award itself is $4500, the department/your supervisor has to supplement at least 25% of that, so your salary over the summer would actually be at least $5625, if that makes a difference to you

p.s. it can be even more if your p.i. has a wealthy lab (engineering!!)

Even if you do get an NSERC award this year, it doesn't mean that you can't do more research in other summers as well. Having that under your belt will make you more attractive to other PIs if you want to work in their lab next summer or even during the year. I would personally go for the NSERC award if you can get it because the french immersion program will still be there next summer and it probably isn't as hard to get into as getting an NSERC :)

Also, keep in mind that even though the award itself is $4500, the department/your supervisor has to supplement at least 25% of that, so your salary over the summer would actually be at least $5625, if that makes a difference to you

i'm starting to think about how speaking french could be of benefit even after medical school if one decides to apply to difficult program: having sherbrooke, laval, mcgill and montreal open would be huge pluses if you were aiming for road or something else competitive!

Hmm... true!

P.S. muse, your posts Amuse me :) (k, I know it does not fit within this context, but I've always wanted to say that!!)

First time poster:)

On a related note..for the explore program how much french can a beginner expect to know after completing the program? Would you be able to hold a convo in french?

I have heard that its all about how much you put into it but I just wanted to get a general feeling

NSERC. It's a prestigious scholarship and $5625 minimum (with PI contribution) tax free. NSERC is the single best way to get your foot in the door into research for an undergrad since everyone recognizes NSERC and knows how competitive it is. At my undergrad institution you needed at least a 3.9 GPA to be in the running for one.

Thanks for all the quick and *very* detailed replies!

I was leaning to the FI, but after considering some of your points, I'm meeting with my advisor with these points in mind. NSERC is handed out like candy at our school, but you're right that I should still value it over FI... I'm also planning on meeting with a few people who know about the projects that are going on for the summer. I may just apply for both, and failing the research grant, take the myexplore. I assume that it would make no difference to my FI selection in future years if I turn it down this year... Anyone know about this who's done it before?

Thanks again, my very level headed (multi-headed, also) advisory jabberwock.

Cheers! :)

Fourloves, Congrads with your new girlfriend!!!! That can be pretty time consuming hehe me and my bf have been together 4 years now. It's definitely something you need to be have time for :) nice to hear your so involved with nonacademics! Also, I'm curious... What are you thinking of doing for your NSERC project? I've never done an NSERC (the prof I used to do research for did not receive NSERC funding, total bummer b/c it was the only material I liked to research) but my bf has had two NSERCs. Depending on the prof, you can be required to spend loads of time in the lab or not that much. Pick a good supervisor and project ;) Makes a great deal of difference IMO. And I totally get what you mean about being serious about your research. You really want to make this award work in your favour, and gain as much from the experience you possibly can. Best of luck! And good luck with the NSERC application :cool:

Of course, considering muse's advice again - I do think that French looks good, especially considering my love for McGill (pipe dream).

gamer - I was told by someone who had previously done j'explore that she got quite a bit out of it, and is now on skype a good deal, hacking away at her quebecoise. She also had ecology classes concurrently, but that GPA came back to haunt her as she had taken it for credit, and her placement had put her in a decent category of french. Our school doesn't add the j'eplore to the cGPA, but professional programs DO add it to the cumulative. Bummer dude. :P

Cerena - thanks for the idea, I might be able to swing 5 weeks off of research and also do the FI if the Dr. had some vacation booked. I know just the prof for the job! :) Really though, if I got the position, I'd be pretty serious about it. I know people were talking in another thread about doing summer classes/MCAT while doing summer research, and it was fairly tough on them. I probably wouldn't want to swing much more than an intro class concurrently in summer. As for ECs, I teach First aid, am an MFR/volunteer with Saint John Ambulance, working on EMR, work for habitat for humanity in summer, soup kitchen, and Men's rec curling. Not much for athletics since I'm already hammered for time. Also have a new girlfriend, I don't know why on earth I even thought of doing THAT.!? :P - Also, I agree: Muse's advice is especially amusing - though wouldn't you say some of it stems from the voice he garners through his avatar/sig picture??

Lol, I would have to agree :)

NSERC. I don't think the french program will benefit you that much, sorry.

The reference you get from NSERC will be invaluable. I have a standing job offer from my former supervisor from it, too. The $$ part is hard, but it's less work than school, you could theoretically work at a coffee shop or something too. My school gave a stipend to NSERC students that made it a liveable (but still lean) wage.

lol, thanks, im trying to think of a letter to add or subtract to your name to make a complimentative word back but mac dictionary tells me that there are none, so i'll just say your posts leave me in a cerene state of mind, if we treat the c as an s and swap an a for an e... i guess that's not quite as clever, lol :)

Hmm... true!

P.S. muse, your posts Amuse me :) (k, I know it does not fit within this context, but I've always wanted to say that!!)

nserc is definitely more prestigious, so if it's that that you (op) are looking for then i'd take the nserc if you get one! i've been told by many people in the department i worked at at my school that if you ever want to do a masters or phd, whether that be with an md or not, that it helps immensely in getting funding. on the other hand j'explore is an incredible cultural and personal experience, but i'm pretty sure you can even during it in the summer of pre-clerkship.

NSERC. I don't think the french program will benefit you that much, sorry.

The reference you get from NSERC will be invaluable. I have a standing job offer from my former supervisor from it, too. The $$ part is hard, but it's less work than school, you could theoretically work at a coffee shop or something too. My school gave a stipend to NSERC students that made it a liveable (but still lean) wage.

lol, thanks, im trying to think of a letter to add or subtract to your name to make a complimentative word back but mac dictionary tells me that there are none, so i'll just say your posts leave me in a cerene state of mind, if we treat the c as an s and swap an a for an e... i guess that's not quite as clever, lol :)

I'll take the "cerene" compliment, merci :)

Archived