Premed 101 Forums

shortage or oversupply??

I suppose it is more a general disdain of those who moan, whine and cry - regardless of the subject.

I've grown up where you are thankful for what you have, not worrying about what you don't.

The thing that is most bothersome about donnadee is that s/he is not still thinking about s/he choices. I guarantee (correct me if I'm wrong) that s/he is going to dental school next year. S/he didn't apply to anything else I presume (reasoned based on poll s/he created) - so s/he is whining only to get reassurance and consoling from others - that is the only intention. Regardless of what anybody says (on a freaking forum - who gives a flying f what anybody says here) - s/he is clearly attending... - s/he just wants mommy to pat them on the back and say 'everything will be ok, you'll have a mansion and a bmw, you'll work 3.5 days a week and everyone will respect you' (hyperbole, but you get the point).

That's what is sooooo annoying about it. And, as I credited before - you, pbure, potentially have more reason to complain - but every post, to the point of ad nauseum, has something about your 'terrible situation, oh what should I do' - it gets old.

Anyways, that's all for me. I'm done with this thread. Just realize that others might also be thinking you sound childish (mostly directed at don)

regardless of whether or not your opinion on the state of dentistry differs from mine...you and I, we're at different life stages...therefore you wont understand where I am coming from...

let me tell you one thing though, while whats said on forums doesnt matter much, it is a good representation of the person you're when the person you're talking about is not around...your posts reveal a personality that likes to pick on others when they're not around...hope I dont have a class mate like you..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is very valid reason for concern. Citing the most recent issue of 'Ontario Dentist' (the ODA magazine, June 2011 p. 38-43), the ratio of dentists to population has decreased from 1/2307 in 1970 to 1/1545 now. The number of new dentists is increasing at twice the rate of population growth - and that is before the new accreditation system was implemented.

It certainly begs the question why the government/NDEB would seek to further increase a work force that has no obvious shortages and which is already growing at an (arguably) unsustainable rate.

I'm not worried about short term job prospects or paying off my student loans -I'm worried about being able to maintain a practice twenty years from now.

and that is before the new accreditation system was implemented.

The new accreditation does not make any sense what so ever. They should do it first for MDs since we have supposedly such a short age and ....

The future will be extremely Grim for many dentist if we are going to make it that easy for International dentist to practice in Canada without having any pricing regulation and ... Extremely Grim.

exactly...for those of us, who are only interested in dentistry, I can truly understand the nervousness these new rapid transformations are bringing....what i dont seem to get is why over the span of 1-2 yrs, these changes have occurred at the same time? Im also very curious as to why all these changes were mandated at the time of a big depression?

I mean, Im thinking the mentality of regulatory authorities is to bring down dental costs for the public...however, in the long run i see such changes as cyclical...u bring down the costs, u drive away ppl from the profession, costs go back up...however, before we can see ppl driven away from the profession , i foresee dental costs going down for a longg time...one only needs to look at the adverts to see how many clinics have begun offering free dental whitening, coupons, deals e.t.c to me, such health care offerings indicate a very cheap reality that we as healthcare practitioners will end up having to spend more time and efforts on marketing...time that could be much better spent on improving patient care quality...

exactly...for those of us, who are only interested in dentistry, I can truly understand the nervousness these new rapid transformations are bringing....what i dont seem to get is why over the span of 1-2 yrs, these changes have occurred at the same time? Im also very curious as to why all these changes were mandated at the time of a big depression?

I mean, Im thinking the mentality of regulatory authorities is to bring down dental costs for the public...however, in the long run i see such changes as cyclical...u bring down the costs, u drive away ppl from the profession, costs go back up...however, before we can see ppl driven away from the profession , i foresee dental costs going down for a longg time...one only needs to look at the adverts to see how many clinics have begun offering free dental whitening, coupons, deals e.t.c to me, such health care offerings indicate a very cheap reality that we as healthcare practitioners will end up having to spend more time and efforts on marketing...time that could be much better spent on improving patient care quality...

Good points. And besides, many foreign dental school tuition fees are way cheaper.

I'm curious to know what the objectives of the CDA or the relevant authorities were to allow foreign dentists to come in. Have they released an official statement yet? I would love to read the article if anyone has seen it. Link please :D

picket line? violent uprising? im down for both

lol wish that would work...although from having a canada post precedence, highly unlikely it'd work...might i suggest, getting involved in CDA :)

also, where did all of dr.trooth's replies disappear...guys, a few of my earlier posts were a "discussion" with him/her in case anyone is getting confused reading them lol

Man this always stresses me out about which profession to go for. I like Dentistry, but man I just feel like in the end it is not going to work out.

dentistry becomes what you make of it...if you're going into it for easy money, then neither dents nor meds will work...both are difficult to get into and each has its challenges....the current legislative changes in dentistry just means that dentists will now have to deal with an additional challenge i.e. competing more with other dentists... however, medicine has its own challenges (i.e. years of residency, unsuitable hours, unable to maintain preferred lifestyle for some specialties)...if u enter into dents, it'll just mean that u'll have to spend more time on non-clinical activities (i.e. marketing, marketing and business related activities if u choose to open ure own practice)

dentistry is increasingly becoming a combination of both clinical and non-clinical tasks....if ure happy doing both, then u'll have fun and succeed.

good luck

Archived