Premed 101 Forums

How do you deal with a roommate who doesn't take out the garbage?

lostintime

Even after numerous reminders? Some of the saddest excuses I've heard in my life when they leave it tied on the floor. When questioned, it's "Oh sorry I forgot. I was in my PJ's, and therefore can't take out the garbage at that time then ended up forgetting". (note garbage chute is like a 30 second walk). NOT in the cold, and no one ever sees you for those 5 seconds you go out. Or "I did it last week!" (and guess what last week = 1 day, Sunday).

Gahh....

That's incredibly annoying, I've had the same experience before :(.

What I did was ask them how to make it so they do remember. This way it's not like I'm blaming them or forcing them into anything but I'm telling them that it's important to me that you DO remember. Since they're coming up with the solution, the onus is also more on them :/

Maybe you could try that? I don't know. Good luck D:

I would hate to have that roommate.

This is not a suggestion, but I would put the garbage bags in front of his/her room (with a note) and wait until he/she complains and have a blast seeing the roommate burst.

If they don't burst and quietly throw the garbage out, the plan worked.

If not and scream at you for polluting their room, I would yell back and have a huge argument and let out my frustration.

If it's the "I did it last week", I honestly think keeping a record of who threw out the garbage, did which chores is a legitimate idea. If the roommate doesn't agree with you and think it's uncool, then it's her problem and her immaturity.

Thanks guys. Good to know I'm not the only one suffering from this. I already did have a confrontation (non aggressive lol, I was just super fed up today after the nth time at least telling her this year---and 3rd time this week). It just cracked me up that her idea of "last week" was one day and to use it as an argument.

I just can't understand how people can tolerate such unhygienic conditions, she used to have this HUGE bag she would hang on the oven left open, or leave huge bags of rotting garbage on the floor when I was away from electives and came back, I was like !!!!!

Argh I hate this! My roommate, no word of a lie, has NEVER, not ONCE taken out the garbage.

She's gone every weekend so she's not here on garbage night, which is fair enough...but even when it fills up during the week (which it almost always does because we have a tiny garbage can) she will just throw her trash out in the bathroom garbage and when that gets full, literally overflow it or leave her trash on the floor beside the trashcan! It's unbelievably annoying.

I'm sooooooo lazy. You'd all hate me if I roomed with you.

Yeah I'm glad I live on my own, means I can do chores whenever I want to on my own schedule.

Oh and as per the original question, my solution is to find a smell that you like and they hate. Or more likely something you can tolerate but they still really hate. Keep filling the garbage up with that, hopefully that'll get them going.

My advice would be to avoid any "hints" or other passive aggressive tactics when dealing with a roommate. Here are two options I would try:

1. If you have a decent relationship then talk to her. Don't convince her to take out the garbage because it is hygienic/proper/etc, because she obviously doesn't care about that stuff. Just tell her how crazy it makes you, and if she is a nice person, then maybe she will be more considerate.

2. Just take out the garbage yourself. You aren't marrying this person, and I'm assuming won't be roommates with her again if she's driving you nuts, so accept that her hygiene standards are lower than yours and do it yourself. At least this way you are living in an environment that you can handle, even if the work distribution isn't 50/50. Slobs are slobs, and changing them can be impossible, so might as well deal as best you can until you have a better roomie.

After living with two messy guys for a year I found option 2 to be the one that gave me the most peace! Good luck :)

Archived