Premed 101 Forums

How does UofO select

Right, which is what I am asking him. He has a great résumé, so I am curious whether he didn't get an interview due to gpa cutoff or because his abs still wasn't strong enough.

It would have been due to his ABS. 3.87 (if he had it) is above the OOP cutoff.

I think it has a good chance of maybe being gpa as well since ottawa doesn't seem to be interviewing anyone below a 3.9 (small sample size from this forum). Their cutoff is posted as 3.85 for OOP so if you meet that cutoff they can't mail you a letter saying that you didn't get in because of the academics but chances are it might've played a factor..or it could just be the way the ABS was worded

I think it has a good chance of maybe being gpa as well since ottawa doesn't seem to be interviewing anyone below a 3.9 (small sample size from this forum). Their cutoff is posted as 3.85 for OOP so if you meet that cutoff they can't mail you a letter saying that you didn't get in because of the academics but chances are it might've played a factor..or it could just be the way the ABS was worded

Ok, this is something that is probably true but can't be proved. The letter would say that it's his sketch. The GPA is very likely being used to break the ties (which must be very common based on the trend that we have observed).

Honestly sitting and figuring this out is such a waste of time, but we all think about it so hard. I'm just going to wait and see what happens. Or at least, no hard core speculation until the interview invites roll in.

• 1 month later...

Has the gpa cut off changed??? last time I checked it was 3.87 as an out of province applicant.. and they do interview people below 3.9 assumeing they are at the cut off.

• 1 month later...

After meeting cut offs, applications are not based on ECs only. There is a weight attributed to your GPA and a weight to your ECs and it's ranked by the total weight.

It is not coincidence that almost all accepted applicants have a GPA that is 3.9+ when the cut off is 3.85. Also, if you look at waitlist offers you will notice that there are trends where higher GPAs tend to get off the waitlist first.

After meeting cut offs, applications are not based on ECs only. There is a weight attributed to your GPA and a weight to your ECs and it's ranked by the total weight.

It is not coincidence that almost all accepted applicants have a GPA that is 3.9+ when the cut off is 3.85. Also, if you look at waitlist offers you will notice that there are trends where higher GPAs tend to get off the waitlist first.

I have no affiliation with UofO medicine, but this makes the most sense to me from looking at last year's stats. I could be totally wrong, but there were quite a few people who had relatively average ECs (no publications or anything else huge) with great GPAs who an interview. On the other hand, a few people with amazing ECs were cut even though they were above 3.85. I also think that things like late letter of recommendations/bad recommendations do happen at least some of the time and can account for some rejections. Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

Archived