Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Party Thread

So we have all been waitlisted. It sucks. Lets all worry about when it will move, how much it will move and various other things that are completely beyond our control. I seem to have far too much free time so I have made a Google doc from all the data in the forum. Obviously this is not a proper study and we are subject to a huge study error but yeah.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnP_g2HSVSIgdEFuZVhaaXJrRkxCMU4xSW5oZHNNMkE&usp=sharing

As it stands now as of May 16th

Accepted:17

Accepted But declining:16

Multiple offers but still undecided:6

Waitlisted:9

Declining to be on the waitlist:6

Regrets:10

Sample Size:64 (~12% of interviewed candidates)

Data has not been released for the past three years but prior to that there were 72 and 79 offers declined in '08 and 09 respectively. The class size has increased by 21 spots since then.

Significant movement of the wait list will most likely occur after the 28th.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just declined my spot. Good luck to those waitlisted! I was in this boat last year and I know how difficult it is. My experience last year ruined my whole summer. Some of you will get off the waitlist and others won't. For those of you that don't - all I can say is, don't lose hope. If you didn't make it in this year, spend the next few months reflecting on why not and improving the aspects of your application that dragged you down. That's what I did last time and things worked out for me this time.

Best of luck to you all.

I know that the wait list has been exhausted two or three years at mac before...this leads me to believe that most people do end up getting off the wait list...

Maybe just wishful thinking and those were abnormal years.

It used to happen but I think they increased the waitlist after that to avoid the embaressment of calling back rejected candidates. That said, I still do think the waistlist isn't massive.

I did all this thinking last year lol. The 2011 Waitlist thread is particularly useful in terms of statistics.

As much as I wish it would be exhausted I think in my humble opinion that they will have a buffer that will not get in. That being said they have not released their stats for the last three years. Whether this is because they have a high decline rate and wish to conceal that I believe Mac offers a unique program. I used to rank it low in the med Schools I was applying to but I have come to recognize its program as one of the most adaptive programs which is huge advantage in medicine. I really hope to join this year but I am a third year so I am fortunate enough to have a goal to complete next year.

Got one today too, for Niagara. Email came in at 6:32pm. Sounds like they all say about the same thing "a position at -insert campus- has become available and you are at the top of our wait-list. If you are interested in receiving this offer, please let me know and I will get a package out to you on Monday."

SO SO SO EXCITED! I was waitlisted at Mac and Ottawa, but Mac was my top choice, no matter what campus. This email was the first thing I saw when I got back form having dinner with my family after my convocation for undergrad. Best grad present ever.

Excuse me while i go jump for joy!

I also just got offered a spot off the waitlist, so it's definitely moving, good luck everyone!

Congratulations! Just curious, are you required to accept the offer by 4:30 pm today?

There doesn't seem to be a deadline noted in the offer, but I assume they want a reply asap (is 4:30 when the May 14th offers need to reply by?)

Offer off the waitlist for Hamilton this morning at 9:09 Central Time.

Accepting, I'll post stats later. I am absolutely ecstatic!

My heart goes out to the waitlisters; I was waitlisted in my home province the past two years without acceptance, it's definitely a special kind of hell.

Archived