Premed 101 Forums

Dermatology

Why is dermatology residency so competitive? What is their residency and post-residency lifestyle like? What are some of their bread and butter procedures?

There are few residency seats, high demand and awesome reimbursement, especially if you do out-of-pocket work. They are in high demand in almost all areas. Call is infrequent allowing you to have a fairly normal working schedule. Also, a lot of the conditions can be improved greatly with treatment and skin diseases have a huge impact on quality of life.

Procedures include lots of biopsies, excision of smaller lesions, injections, cyrotherapy and I'm sure there are plenty of other types.

There are few residency seats, high demand and awesome reimbursement, especially if you do out-of-pocket work. They are in high demand in almost all areas. Call is infrequent allowing you to have a fairly normal working schedule. Also, a lot of the conditions can be improved greatly with treatment and skin diseases have a huge impact on quality of life.

Procedures include lots of biopsies, excision of smaller lesions, injections, cyrotherapy and I'm sure there are plenty of other types.

nice summary - one of those 9-5 type of jobs with high income :)

this might be a stupid question but are they the ones that diagnose skin cancers?

I think they would be the ones to biopsy it and would have a good idea of whether it is cancer or not. However, wouldn't a pathologist make the final call?

I think they would be the ones to biopsy it and would have a good idea of whether it is cancer or not. However, wouldn't a pathologist make the final call?

ha :) that is an interesting point - who officially makes any diagnosis in the end? I think usually we consider it to be the most responsible physician involved in the care, which would be the dermatologist who ordered the labs, path, and possible imaging. The only one with the complete picture as it were.

Archived