Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Accepted to US Med. School-Ask Me Anything

My school in the east coast has about 25 Canadians, and I hear this year they accepted even more. 3.8/35 is above the average for Canadians accepted here. Tuition is pricey though.

would you be able to send me a message regarding the school and if you like it? I am most interested in the east coast due to proximity. If not that is fine :)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have taken it 3 times, then you're at your plateau. Take it at face value and apply broadly to low tier MD and hbcs. Apply to all 10 USDOs that are international student friendly.

I applied in November to howard and Meharry and got rejected. I wanted to apply early in the new cycle. Do you know of any other low tier MD schools?

I have a question! 

How important is shadowing, which appears to come up in the American applications ?

Contrary to the previous reply to you, shadowing or any other clinical immersive experience IS important to American schools. They want to know you know what you're in for. However, they know that Canadians do not have the same opportunities so some sort of clinically associated activity like hospital volunteering is perfectly fine for Canadian applicants.

Source: I never shadowed and was accepted in the states.

Contrary to the previous reply to you, shadowing or any other clinical immersive experience IS important to American schools. They want to know you know what you're in for. However, they know that Canadians do not have the same opportunities so some sort of clinically associated activity like hospital volunteering is perfectly fine for Canadian applicants.

Source: I never shadowed and was accepted in the states.

thank you! I have gotten the impression its important to them, but I can't find a reasonable way to do so. I was hoping they were aware that its just not viable in Canada and that hospital volunteering is maybe enough

thank you! I have gotten the impression its important to them, but I can't find a reasonable way to do so. I was hoping they were aware that its just not viable in Canada and that hospital volunteering is maybe enough

IT is better to have it, but don't worry if you don't - they understand if you can't get shadowing. But definitely have some form of clinical volutneering.

IT is better to have it, but don't worry if you don't - they understand if you can't get shadowing. But definitely have some form of clinical volutneering.

I will keep trying to find some in Canada, but I don't have a car (or even a passport yet..need to get on that) so going to the US for day trips just isn't feasible. I've been volunteering in the ER all year though so hopefully that's enough!

• 2 months later...

Hey! These are my stats, what are the chances for US med schools? 

cGPA: 3.56; sGPA: 3.9 --> 2nd year was bad 

MCAT: writing the new MCAT in August

EC: Somewhat decent: some on-campus leadership experiences with focus on helping first year transition

Research: worked in 2 neuroscience related labs + will be completing my thesis in clinical neuropsychology clinic

Shadowing: none (currently trying to find an opportunity)

Clinical volunteering: Co-op for 2 months (full time) in the hospital during a high school summer

I know I don't have much clinical volunteering experience or shadowing - how bad much would this affect my application? I'm hoping to apply to a few schools once I get my MCAT results in early Sept. Considering my GPA, I'll be applying to schools I'd qualify for (ex. Rosalind Franklin, George Washington University, New York Medical College..etc).

Appreciate any input! Thanks! 

• 4 months later...

Hi guys

Get a lot helpful information here. I just want advice some you gus, thx in advance.

My daughter is a third year biology student at a Canadian research university. She has a overall GPA 3.89 for the first two years. Her MCAT score, taken on Sep 11, 2015, is 521 (131, 130,130, 130).

We are thinking to apply medical schools in both Canada and USA. 

Can you guys suggest a few USA medical schools, which are friendly to Canadian and also, my daughter will have a good change to get interviewed?

Thx 

Hi edmonton,

I will let others suggest specific schools. However I just wanted to point out that extracurricular activities (i.e. research) and reference letters on average matter much more to US schools than Canadian schools.   Thus, as far as US schools are concerned (and especially top ones), there is no guarantee of an interview even with stellar GPA/MCAT.

Another issue when it comes down to US schools is cost of attendance, as only a few (usually top-tier) schools offer financial assistance to international students.

That said, if your daughter's extracurricular and references are on par with her stats, she should be a very good candidate at most US schools.

Hi guys

Get a lot helpful information here. I just want advice some you gus, thx in advance.

My daughter is a third year biology student at a Canadian research university. She has a overall GPA 3.89 for the first two years. Her MCAT score, taken on Sep 11, 2015, is 521 (131, 130,130, 130).

Can you guys suggest a few USA medical schools, which are friendly to Canadian and also, my daughter will have a good change to get interviewed?

Thx 

There're 4 Canadian MD schools mainly look at GPA/MCAT scores - Western Ontario, McMaster, Manitoba and Saskatchewan that your daughter will have 50% or higher chance for interview, after interview, Saskatchewan 100% based on interview, McMaster is 70%, Manitoba is 45%, so interview is very important. Other Canadian MD schools may put some weight (about 50% ) on ECs, essays and references before interview.

For AMCAS timing and essays are very important, apply 1st day at the end of May or 1st day in June, submit every documents and complete primary application in June or July, complete each school's secondary application in a few days when you invited. pre-write essays from SDN before May to shorten your application time. Hospital/clinic experiences are very important to USMD, family or any relationship in medical field will help your daughter's application. Reference letters are very important too, need at least 6 letters, each american MD school need different letters, some ask no more than 3, some ask at least 4, some 6, some no limit. Some one professor, some two professors, some three. some at least one science professor, some at least one non-science professor. some accept family friend, most don't. So you will need at least 6 reference letters to cover most USMD.

1 Science professor from your faculty

1 Science professor from other faculty

1 non-science professor

2 manager or administrator from work/volunteering

1 family friend 

Only apply to Canadian friendly schools from premed101's list unless your daughter was born in USA.

Good luck.

Hi guys

Thx 

I would reccomened buying the MSAR for American schools and double checking that international students are actually interviewed at the schools she wants to apply to

• 5 weeks later...

Study the individual school, read up on its thread and previous years threads at studentdoctor. Convey your internationality to an advantage. Make sure you convey why that specific school is the best fit for you, and how that school needs you in their class, and how you would contribute. Play up any connections you have to that school/city etc. You need to assure them that if you are accepted there is a good chance you will actually go, because in the states some school will pass over high stat candidates if they think they are a shoe in at a "higher ranked" school.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! 

So I applied to VCU, Wayne State, UNC and UKentucky and got secondaries only for the first 3. I did a lot of research on this before applying and found these to be the schools with the highest matriculation rates for Canadians (with my qualifications i.e. >3.9CGPA, 12BS 9VR 10PS and good ECs+shadowing), would you agree that these are Canadian-friendly schools? I haven't heard back from anyone yet, and I submitted them end of September, so I'm getting slightly nervous.

Also, I'm considering applying to the St. George in the Caribbean if all else fails- and from what I've heard/read, I'm under the impression that it is considered an american medical school as well. That being said, would you say that chances of coming back to Canada for a residency (or perhaps after residency) would have the same chances as an american medical student given the same USMLE scores?

Thanks a ton! 

Hey! 

So I applied to VCU, Wayne State, UNC and UKentucky and got secondaries only for the first 3. I did a lot of research on this before applying and found these to be the schools with the highest matriculation rates for Canadians (with my qualifications i.e. >3.9CGPA, 12BS 9VR 10PS and good ECs+shadowing), would you agree that these are Canadian-friendly schools? I haven't heard back from anyone yet, and I submitted them end of September, so I'm getting slightly nervous.

Also, I'm considering applying to the St. George in the Caribbean if all else fails- and from what I've heard/read, I'm under the impression that it is considered an american medical school as well. That being said, would you say that chances of coming back to Canada for a residency (or perhaps after residency) would have the same chances as an american medical student given the same USMLE scores?

Thanks a ton! 

What?? No. Caribbean schools are NOT considerd like US schools. Not at all. You basically give up the chance at doing a canadian residency

You would be insane to consider going to the caribean with a 3.9GPA.

Hey! 

Thanks a ton! 

The chances are extremely different going from decent USMD schools ---> Carribean. Not even close to the same opportunities and odds. Even in the situation where you had significantly better USMLE scores over a USMD, you would still have less options. Uphill battle.

With a 3.9 and 31 - you can do better than the carribean. Look into USDO schools as a better alternative to carribean.

I've actually applied to DO but am not interested anymore considering that I'd still be seen as an international student and as DO is not a popular well-known concept in Canada, I feel like I'll be spending the rest of my life (or until DO becomes a "thing" in Canada) trying to justify myself...

I guess I should have applied to more USMD schools, but at this point I'm pretty sure it's too late. I was thinking Carribean (or possibly Ireland?) because I'd rather not waste a year waiting for the next application round. Suppose though I end up doing residency is the US, how easy is it to come back to Canada?

Thanks so much for your help!

I've actually applied to DO but am not interested anymore considering that I'd still be seen as an international student and as DO is not a popular well-known concept in Canada, I feel like I'll be spending the rest of my life (or until DO becomes a "thing" in Canada) trying to justify myself...

I guess I should have applied to more USMD schools, but at this point I'm pretty sure it's too late. I was thinking Carribean (or possibly Ireland?) because I'd rather not waste a year waiting for the next application round. Suppose though I end up doing residency is the US, how easy is it to come back to Canada?

You're much, much more likely to get a US residency as a DO rather than ireland/carib. Going overseas puts you at a high risk of not getting a residency at all. 

Getting a US residency as a Caribbean grad is unlikely, and you're basically going to have to take whatever you can get, and forget it if you want to do a more competitive specialty. 

Would you rather 'waste a year', or waste 300K?

Taking foreign schools over DO is a terrible idea, but to each their own. 

As for justifying yourself - you just put Dr. Gemini, CCFP  done. 

Then again, no sense trying to convince you - will let that spot go to a Canadian who is more interested. 

Not to be rude, but how you can think SGU is considered "an American school" shows your level of knowledge on the post-graduate and residency education process is lacking. I would strongly encourage you to look into how that all actually works before heading off to SGU or Ireland as a Canadian citizen, and spending lots of money(that you likely don't have). 

Archived