Premed 101 Forums

Worth It To Apply Again After 1 Year? Can I Even Make It?

Hello all, long time lurker, 1st post here. I have a pretty unique situation not covered yet and I wanted to get some advice.

I was wondering whether I have a shot at canadian schools. 

There are 2 problems with my app:

In my first year I failed out of my university due to being unable to handle personal problems properly. I came back and scored well since (approx 3.85wGPA not including that year) MCAT 33 12/10/11.

I applied to all the ontario schools when I was in 4th year but I received no interviews, which I expected because they only  had my 2nd and 3rd year grades and my 1st year grades were when i failed out.

I took this as a sign that I couldn't get into a Canadian school and the next cycle I applied to AMCAS. I garnered 3 acceptances at mid-tier U.S MD schools and I am currently planning to attend. The reason why I took this route is because I realized that Canadian schools are extremely stat heavy, and do not conduct holistic reviews of their applications. As such even though I knew I was a good candidate with good numbers (and EC's, obviously), most Canadian schools wouldn't even to a proper review of my app due to the 1st year. 

The other problem was that a 10 in verbal screens me from western which only looks at last 2 years (i.e the only school I really had a shot at) and I didn't want to retake because 33 is a decent score and I didn't want it to go down and reflect poorly.

However like many on this forum, I am being a bit apprehensive at the cost of attendance. My tuition is not so bad at approx 50k/yr, but with the usd cad conversion, and Cost of Living, im looking at about 350k CAD debt by the time im done. Contrast that to Ontario where its like $150K or so.

I do want to practice in Canada so i'm planning to do a residency in Canada anyway.

The question is are there any schools in Canada that would consider my app? I feel like I am a good applicant, I just missed the mark by a hairline at some places with 10 verbal, and at other places with my 1st year grades, and at other places simply by being an Ontario resident compared to Alberta or Saskatchewan.

Should I just stick it out with this US MD?

Thanks for opinions and advice

At this point, I would go forward with your US acceptance. Re-apply once more while you are a M1, and see if you get any interviews/acceptances - then you can just start over again in Canada if money is tight. 

If you have strong ECs, you should apply to UBC, they drop your lowest year. Calgary drops your lowest year to I think, but IIRC they have a 11 VR cut-off for OOP. Try Dalhousie perhaps?

How come you didn't apply to Canadian schools when you applied to AMCAS? 

Just my 2 cents.

1. Ottawa will only look your last 3 years GPA, Ottawa's wGPA= (3xY4+2xY3+Y2)/6, if you're from Ottawa area, your 3.8x wGPA is very good, if you're not from Ottawa, your chance is not good, you'll need 3.9x for not from Ottawa area.

2. Queens, Western Ontario, Dalhousie and Calgary will use your best 2 years GPA if your cGPA didn't meet cut-off.

3. Calgary MD is 3 years, try move your address to there asap to get their health card before application due day, you may qualify IP.

4. If I went to USMD, the extra $200K tuition fee seems a lot now, but 10 years later, $200K just a year's salary and just a number in my bank account. Waste 2 years at USMD and come back? not a good move.

I heard UBC was the most difficult medical school to get into for out of province applicants. I am an ontario resident so I didn't even bother with UBC.

Ottawa when I applied the first time told me "sry only interviewing candidates with 3.85 or higher" since I am not from ottawa I didn't think I would interview with them if I applied the 2nd time around 

Yes calgary needs an 11 verbal for out of province.

I did apply to canadian schools this cycle, all out of province, since my in province schools didn't even give me an interview last round. I wasn't expecting much though because as an ontario resident its just extremely difficult to get one of those seats. Most require verbals of 11 or higher and their average MCAT of accepted out of province students is 35+ in alot of schools

Whats the timeline for getting a calgary health card?

How does one "move their address" there?

Is it just me or does this proccess seem most brutal for ontario residents? 

I heard UBC was the most difficult medical school to get into for out of province applicants. I am an ontario resident so I didn't even bother with UBC.

Ottawa when I applied the first time told me "sry only interviewing candidates with 3.85 or higher" since I am not from ottawa I didn't think I would interview with them if I applied the 2nd time around 

Yes calgary needs an 11 verbal for out of province.

I did apply to canadian schools this cycle, all out of province, since my in province schools didn't even give me an interview last round. I wasn't expecting much though because as an ontario resident its just extremely difficult to get one of those seats. Most require verbals of 11 or higher and their average MCAT of accepted out of province students is 35+ in alot of schools

Whats the timeline for getting a calgary health card?

How does one "move their address" there?

Is it just me or does this proccess seem most brutal for ontario residents? 

Well it depends on your ECs. UBC is hard for OOP, but if you have strong ECs than you can have a decent shot if they rest of the OOP pool is relying solely on high marks etc. Can't hurt to apply.

I think you should continue on with your US acceptances, but give UBC, Queens and Dalhousie an application this upcoming cycle. If you get into one of the schools, great - start over from year 1, having already completed M1 in the US. If not, continue on with your medical degree in the US and move on.  It wouldn't be worth it to leave the US after completing M2, when you're starting clinicals and through the "hard" part already. 

You're in a fortunate situation to have a US acceptance at hand. A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Just try to help, I'm an Ontarian, applied as OOP outside Ontario.

For BC health card, 3 months wait time. Legally you need an address in BC, like lease a room, bank statement, etc.

UBC only ask a copy of health card to proof your IP status on application, real health card check at registraction when you accepted.

Legally you can be a BC resident/health card holder and study/live in USA, totally legal, just like a lot of BC residents study in Ontario as OOP,

totally legal. 

For Calgary and Alberta, please check their websites, I think not much different.

Should you do that? Better not. USMD is my backup plan, I'll choose a year of my life over $200K debt in my LoC.

You could've applied to Queen's, UofT and Mac. Don't buy into this "you must have a verbal of 11 to get an interview" crap...

Here's the link to UBC's IP applicant definition, you only need a BC health card

http://mdprogram.med.ubc.ca/admissions/selection/b-c-residency-definitions/

Calgary updated its IP resident as 2 years day-to-day lived in Alberta, no health card needed for next 2015-2016 cycle.

So you have to studied, worked or lived in Alberta for two years after your 15th birthday to be eligible as IP applicant at uCalgary.

Here's the link http://mdadmissions.ucalgaryblogs.ca/2014/06/16/residency-definitions/

uCalgary and uAlberta may have different definition for resident for IP applicants.

Just try to help, I'm an Ontarian, applied as OOP outside Ontario.

For BC health card, 3 months wait time. Legally you need an address in BC, like lease a room, bank statement, etc.

UBC only ask a copy of health card to proof your IP status on application, real health card check at registraction when you accepted.

Legally you can be a BC resident/health card holder and study/live in USA, totally legal, just like a lot of BC residents study in Ontario as OOP,

totally legal.

For Calgary and Alberta, please check their websites, I think not much different.

Should you do that? Better not. USMD is my backup plan, I'll choose a year of my life over $200K debt in my LoC.

What your suggesting and implying is unethical. If all your suggesting to do is move on paper to get a health card, that definitely raises some flags on moral character. But I guess if it doesn't feel wrong to you, then its your right to play the system as you see fit.

Well, we are all playing the medical admissions game anyway, are we not?

GPA, check?

MCAT, check?

ECs, check?

Not much a stretch to add in "resident status, check?" 

I know of a mate who is travelling back and forth between quebec on the weekends while she schools in ontario because she wants to go to mcgill as an IP

Well, we are all playing the medical admissions game anyway, are we not?

GPA, check?

MCAT, check?

ECs, check?

Not much a stretch to add in "resident status, check?" 

I know of a mate who is travelling back and forth between quebec on the weekends while she schools in ontario because she wants to go to mcgill as an IP

Right, well good luck with that haha. At least that mate of yours is going back and forth on weekends. What the above poster recommended was simply throwing some money around and renting out a place and paying some bills to pretend to live there. 

Archived