Premed 101 Forums

April 20Th Support Thread

I assume it's Monday, not Friday, because U of T still has interviews this weekend... I don't think U of T would be stoked if someone accepted an offer to Calgary before even interviewing with them!

I don't think schools care too much, since Dalhousie already released acceptances in march...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or instead of MMI they just put a hat on your head that reads your thoughts and decides if you get in or not. 

haha if it's based on intentions and reasons for getting in, im sure most would get rejected ;) 

(thinking money money money prestige prestige prestige)

Hat: so why do you want to do medicine? 

Premed X: "Um I'm really passionate about science and helping people"

Hat: REJECTED! 

haha if it's based on intentions and reasons for getting in, im sure most would get rejected ;)

(thinking money money money prestige prestige prestige)

Hat: so why do you want to do medicine? 

Premed X: "Um I'm really passionate about science and helping people"

Hat: REJECTED! 

I really hope that the majority of people aren't going into it for those reasons...they are in for a wake up call if they are.

I really hope that the majority of people aren't going into it for those reasons...they are in for a wake up call if they are.

Yeah, there are other careers with money and prestige that are easier to get into than med school. And definitely less stressful!

Trust me, it's easy for people to BS their way through med school so they have a financially comfortable life, have that Dr. in front of their name, and show everyone how amazing they are in getting into med school. Petroleum engineers in Alberta make tons of money, but wouldn't a science kid rather say "I'm a doctor" over "I'm a petroleum engineer"? There's a sense of being noble and serving people that adds to the image. I'm sure if you take a poll or some mental health scale on students who get rejected from med school, they will have more stress, anxiety, panic issues than students getting rejected into other programs. It's how society puts MDs on pedestals and that is just perpetually reinforced throughout undergrad. 

I've spoken to about 30-50 med students in 1st and 2nd year and the ones I know have said that these people are the exact same as they were in undergrad. "So what did you get on that exam? Why are you volunteering there? Did you get AIHS this summer for research?" hahah seriously people, stfu. It's this paranoia about constantly being in competition and being more concerned with others than yourself.

Sorry, this went off on a tangent but I hate people :) 

Trust me, it's easy for people to BS their way through med school so they have a financially comfortable life, have that Dr. in front of their name, and show everyone how amazing they are in getting into med school. Petroleum engineers in Alberta make tons of money, but wouldn't a science kid rather say "I'm a doctor" over "I'm a petroleum engineer"? There's a sense of being noble and serving people that adds to the image. I'm sure if you take a poll or some mental health scale on students who get rejected from med school, they will have more stress, anxiety, panic issues than students getting rejected into other programs. It's how society puts MDs on pedestals and that is just perpetually reinforced throughout undergrad. 

I've spoken to about 30-50 med students in 1st and 2nd year and the ones I know have said that these people are the exact same as they were in undergrad. "So what did you get on that exam? Why are you volunteering there? Did you get AIHS this summer for research?" hahah seriously people, stfu. It's this paranoia about constantly being in competition and being more concerned with others than yourself.

Sorry, this went off on a tangent but I hate people :)

wait until they realize there is a huge wide world out there and medicine is just a small part of it...they won't feel so prestigious then ;)  hopefully those you speak of will eventually change their focus from one upping one another to actually advocating for their patients in the future. 

the nerves for monday have certainly kicked in...best of luck to everyone.

Wouldn't it be nice if we get letters via owls from UofC?

Or instead of MMI they just put a hat on your head that reads your thoughts and decides if you get in or not. 

This right here is what a wait support thread is all about... lol

Good luck to everyone!   We're aprox. 48 hours out from admission offers!

Also, am I the only one who periodically logs into the UCAN portal, each time hoping that by some random computer glitch it will show me the final decision?  :P

This right here is what a wait support thread is all about... lol

Good luck to everyone!   We're aprox. 48 hours out from admission offers!

Also, am I the only one who periodically logs into the UCAN portal, each time hoping that by some random computer glitch it will show me the final decision?  :P

Nope, I think that's pretty normal.

Monday, April 20th

12:25 PM

Phone notifies you of e-mail

Subject: University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine - Admission Decisions

Body:

HUFFLEPUFF!

Archived