Premed 101 Forums

Anesthesiology Selecting Electives

F508

Hello!

For those of you who have done rotations in anesthesiology, can you comment about amount of teaching, hands-on procedures for your sites?

Also update for current strength/desirability/ best anesthesiology programs in Canada and which programs prefer students having done visiting electives at their faculty?

Thanks!

I find that a lot of the rotations are very staff dependent. Most academic centres have a large staff base, and therefore a large variation on teaching styles. In general, if you can go to a centre where they will put you together with one or two regular preceptors, the chances of you getting to do more hands on stuff is higher. When I did my rotations, I had regular preceptors for UWO (Vic site), Hamilton (St. Joe's), and Dalhousie. 

I am under the impression that Winnipeg and Ottawa historically had very strong programs, but Ottawa is piloting the CBD program, so the results of it won't be available for at least another 4 years. Although I think Dalhousie and Winnipeg(???) are moving to CBD programs this coming year as well. 

Archived