Premed 101 Forums

St. John's Ambulance - Amfr Course

Emojis4Life

Thanks for responding, guys!

Yes, I do have a few specific questions. I apologize in advance if they are overly basic as I have just started looking into this. 

1) While doing research, I came across the SJA AMFR course and the EMR course offered by the Red Cross. I was wondering if you know the difference between the two, which is better and why you choose the one you did?

2) There's not a whole lot of information about the actual classes or curriculum on SJA's website. They kind of just give a basic outline of what they'll teach. What are the classes like? Is it mostly lecture-based or more hands-on? What are the tests like? Is it "hard" to pass (i.e. get 80%) or is much of it common sense?

3) The course is something like $650, which is pretty expensive. Having gone through the program, was the money worth it? Have you been able to use your certification since? If you have, what have you had the chance to be involved in?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts/advice :)

I chose SJA pretty much at random, I don't know much about the red cross course and I wouldn't be able to comment on it.

The course was about 50/50 lecture and hands on (they would talk about something then we would practice it). Written tests were easy and only a few people failed, the practical test was hard enough to have around a 30-50% fail rate depending on the year (this was in a group of people who weren't directly paying for the course though, I assume they'd make accommodations if you were paying $650)

This all depends on what you want to use the certification for, so you should definitely figure that out beforehand. I did it to volunteer with SJA (medical first response) and because of that the course was paid for. The experience was definitely valuable from that perspective as I spent hundreds of hours volunteering in some cool places and got to do some cool things too. Without doing that though I don't really see the value in getting the certification, especially if I would have had to pay that much for it

• 2 weeks later...

DO IT. I recommend it, I did mine with SJA and they've got a really professional set up. I feel like I've learned a lot, and mine was free since I'm volunteering with them. 

Your experience will be dependent of the people leading whatever district (and then division) you end up in. My division is gung-ho about being prepared and professional, so we meet regularly to practise scenarios and techniques. I've heard of other districts/divisions where the leadership isn't as strong, and so obviously that wouldn't be such a great time.

If you want some hands on experience with this sort of thing, do the course and start volunteering- you get to go to some interesting events, meet interesting people, and maybe get to see blood 'n guts (LOL kidding). Plus who doesn't want to know how to deal with a medical or trauma emergencies, amirite?

EDIT

Saw this:

what have you had the chance to be involved in?

Really depends on the city you're in, and how far you're willing to travel. You might cover hockey games (for example the games your city's team plays), soccer games (same thing, basically sport events are big), municipal or federal events, marathons, concerts (the AC/DC concert was covered by SJA in Ottawa back in September). Big variety, really, though also dependent on the season. 

Hi guys, 

Thanks for all the great insight. I really appreciate it.

It clearly seems like it is a great learning experience and the events you can get involved with seem very interesting. I'm glad to know that this training is free if you start volunteering with SJA. I've started looking into that because those are the kinds of things I've been looking to take part in for a while now (and it doesn't hurt that volunteering would mean that I don't have to shell out $600+!)

Did the course, but couldn't attend the final practical because a summer school exam conflicted.

Where I did my training, North York Toronto, people were able to move their final practical date. People were also able to move their final practical's location too if they wanted. 

Just ask them what they can do about it

Where I did my training, North York Toronto, people were able to move their final practical date. People were also able to move their final practical's location too if they wanted. 

Just ask them what they can do about it

I did mine downtown a couple of summers ago, a bit too late now haha

Damn, you paid and didn't get the certification?

It sucks, but it works the same for any other first aid course (besides having an interview process before being selected for the course); you pay, take the classes, then do the exam. No exam = no certification. 

The stuff you learn in the course is interesting, like you get introduced to the paperwork process when dealing with patients, who gets to handle your patient, etc., but between having to go through the whole selection process again (paying the fee again, references, interview, and the course conflicting with my regular classes), the required 2 year commitment, and the other stuff I had going on, I ended up not reapplying. But if you're interested in doing AMFR, then definitely go for it.

Archived