Premed 101 Forums

OOP Pre-Interview Rank

I know that everyone from the Maritimes gets an interview if they meet the cut offs, but how are OOP applicants assessed? Is the 1500 word essay, supplemental activities, and academics taken into account, or is it solely the 250 word Maritime connection. 

This is the only information I found online:

ASSESSING THE APPLICATIONS

Maritime – Currently all Maritime applicants who meet the minimum academic requirements (Course load, GPA & MCAT) will be invited for an interview

Non-Maritime Must meet the minimum academic requirements – Eligible applicants are pre-ranked using “connections to the Maritimes” statement – Applicants rank ordered and 50-60 applicants invited for interview.

I spoke to Dal admissions in person and they told me GPA, Casper, MCAT, and Maritime essay are assessed for pre-interview for OOP. It seemed like they were emphasizing the 250 word essay component to me, and past invites on this forum seem to corroborate its importance. The supplemental/essay is applied post-interview. Not sure about GPA, MCAT, and Casper post-interview (probably not?).

GPA, & MCAT are most certainly applied post-interview. They count, collectively, for 25% of your post-interview score which they use to rank applicants. I think they say that Casper is only used for interview invites this year.

GPA + MCAT - 25%

Essay + Supp - 35%

Interview - 40%

Are the general weightings for each in the past.

Form what I understood while speaking to them is that as long as you meet the cut-offs you are ranked solely on the connection essay, top 50-60 will get an interview.

Everything else is applied post interview to arrive at an overall (out of 100) score.

Archived