Premed 101 Forums

My chances?

Hi everyone, 

My friend suggested I join and look around on the forums here and it's been a great help. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea about what my chances are for getting into anything. I'm applying under the EDP for Tulane, and hoping to complete an MD/MBA program there. I also wanted to get an opinion on the best school for me to apply through the EDP.

In terms of numbers my GPA is a 3.71/4.0, I'm doing my 5th year of Biological Sciences (honours program) at the University of Calgary. MCAT was a 513 (first year of new exam), wrote it once, 130 on both sciences, 127 cars and 126 psych. 

Others: I've been volunteering in a lab since Sept 2016, now doing research in that lab under a studentship. More research for my honours project for my fifth year. As for EC, I've got about 350+ hours at a  senior home, 350 at a hospital (gift store), 7 years of karate. Two years of tutoring 1st year stats. On another note, I've been on a student exchange, the Korean government gave me a pretty nice scholarship. 

I'm pretty confident in my LOR writers. My writing is pretty decent, won a scholarship from our local union through an essay competition. Still, the personal comments and activities scare the crap outta me. I'm on a time crunch and the EDP deadline is in 4 days, haven't been able to get any consultants review my writing. 

I was thinking of applying to these schools (includes Canadian schools): 

Tulane University School of Medicine 08/01/17
Central Michigan University College of Medicine 11/30/17
Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science 11/01/17
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine 11/01/17
New York Medical College 12/15/17
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University 11/15/2017 
University of California, Davis, School of Medicine 10/01/2017 
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine 10/16/2017 
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine 10/15/2017 
Wayne State University School of Medicine 12/31/2017 
McGill University Faculty of Medicine 11/01/2017 
Queen's University Faculty of Health Sciences 09/15/2017 
University of Alberta Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry 10/01/2017 
University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine 09/15/2017 
University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine 10/01/2017 
The University of Western Ontario - Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry 09/15/2017 
University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine 09/15/2017 
McMaster University Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine 10/01/2017 
University of Calgary Cumming School of Medicine 10/01/2017 

Can't say much about what the MSAR says about these schools (don't want to get my butt kicked) but I'm pretty sure I sit on the median for all the American schools here. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I feel pretty anxious without having some numbers out other, even with the MSAR, it doesn't tell me much about how us Canadian applicants fare in the other playground. If someone would like to review my essays, or vice-versa (would like someone to review yours, I'll do it for free, not $300 and a huge chunk of your soul), fire me a message! 
Thanks in advance! 

My adviser told me not to even look towards California - Davis accepted 2 OOS last year (and 0 international) and David Geffen got 12k applications last year. It's difficult even for Californians to get in there! I was told to use MSAR to screen out for any schools that accepted less than 2 internationals on last application cycle. Using that guidelines, North Carolina doesn't sound too welcoming. Perhaps you can also add Virginia Commonwealth, SUNY Upstate, George Washington, MCW, Georgetown, Kentucky. Oakland? Good chunk of Oakland's first year comes from Canada (granted, mostly from Ontario) and Kentucky regularly interviews Canadians, although its secondary is painful. VC, GW and Georgetown also accepts several internationals but gets even more applications than UC David Geffen. 

As for EDP, good luck - none of my friends are going that track as we're all afraid of not being able to apply to any other schools during that time. Also, Sask last year gave interview offers to non-sask applicants with MCAT >=98% (519) and CARS >98% (129), and interview waitlist to 128. \

Good Luck! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey slam,

Not to be a downer but I'd recommend taking out Western, UofA, UofC. Save your money for US MD schools!

Alberta: 

The minimum cGPA required to be eligible to apply for Non-Albertan applicants is 3.50 on the UofA 4.0 grading scale.

The minimum MCAT score to be eligible to apply for Non-Albertans is 128 in CARS and 124in CPBS, BBFL, and PSBB

Calgary: GPA 3.8 and CARS 128

Archived