Premed 101 Forums

AADSAS GPA calculation 2017

It seems like AADSAS GPA calculation is lower than OMSAS GPA calculations

4.0 = A = 90%-100%

3.0 = B = 80%-89%

2.0 = C = 70%-79%

1.0 = D = 60%-69%

0 = F = 59% & below

Ref: http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/GoDental/The_Application_to_Dental_School_ADEA_AADSAS/ADEAAADSASGPAGuideRevisedJanuary2017.pdf

Oh man...

In addition, Canadian friendly US dental schools like BU, have entrance stats of 3.4, which is equivalent to a above 85%? How come everybody say that US dental schools are easier to get in???? I don't get it. It seems as hard as Canadian dental schools... :(

It seems like they got rid of A+ which used to translate into 4.33. But the percentage grade scale seems unfair...does that mean if your school reports 89 as A (letter grade) then that counts as 4.0, but if your school reports 89 as 89% then that counts as 3.0???

I called ADEA AADSASS earlier today, for example school like UT, they have both % and letter grades on transcript, you'll need to enter % into the AADSAS system and it'll be converted to their scales, ie. 89 is an A at UT, it'll converted to a B, and 3.0 on AADSAS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because from what I've heard from AADSAS isn't looking good for us...

Poor souls of my fellow Canadians...

In the case if you have letter grades  only, they said it'll be converted to the percentage first based on your school standards and then they'll converted to AADSAS scale which is still the same thing...

For example A is assigned on your transcript, but base on the specific school's standards, A is equivalent of 80-89%, you'll have to input the percentage into the AADSAS system and it'll be converted to a B...

25 minutes ago, Coronaxtra said:

Do you have letter grades on your transcripts? In my case, it would make no difference since my schools grading system follows AADSAS (except A+ and A are both 4.0). 

No, my school only uses percentage on transcripts. Now I don't know if I should try American dental schools... Way too complicated 

23 minutes ago, Intermediate said:

In the case if you have letter grades  only, they said it'll be converted to the percentage first based on your school standards and then they'll converted to AADSAS scale which is still the same thing...

For example A is assigned on your transcript, but base on the specific school's standards, A is equivalent of 80-89%, you'll have to input the percentage into the AADSAS system and it'll be converted to a B...

So basically, they are deflating grades...:confused: 

1 hour ago, Intermediate said:

Jan 2017 was the revision

When you say that they use to consider 80+ as A, 4.0, how long ago was that?

I applied in the last cycle and they had: A+ = 4.33, 80+ = A, which both seem to be gone in the recent revision. 

38 minutes ago, J1324 said:

Will this also apply to Canadian dental grads applying for US specializations?

I would guess so since its the same system.

14 minutes ago, Intermediate said:

Another thing is that dental school in the States are so expensive...at least 500K/4years...How are you guys paying for it...?

This. As someone who applied and was accepted to US programs, you don't really realize the insane cost until you get in. I'd put the estimate even closer to 600k CAD. Even with a max LOC from a Canadian bank, you'd need to pay the remaining 325k somehow. I'm all for pursuing your dream, but please, before you even apply think about how you'll finance this education and if it's not possible, focus your efforts on getting into schools in Canada or other countries that are cheaper

• 6 months later...

If someone here from UWO applied to American schools this year. Could you please message me. Having some trouble figuring out how to calculate my GPA for AADSAS. Ive heard from some people that a 80+ is still considered a 4.0 but this thread says otherwise so I am a bit confused. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived