Premed 101 Forums

Rock climbing gym

Been an avid rock climber for years and would like to keep it up during medical school.

i know the mac gym has a wall, any clue if it's any good? How many routes? Does it change often? Is lead climbing an option? Bouldering?

also, do we get automatic membership in the mac gym as part of tuition or nah?

I'm not familiar with the rock-climbing wall at Mac, but I know that all students have to pay to get the Pulse membership. Without the membership, you only have access to the indoor track, the pool, and the badminton/volleyball court (no access to machines, fitness classes, and rock climbing walls).

Mac's climbing wall on campus is very small, and if you're an avid climber, probably won't be challenging for very long. I know they always have bouldering and top rope, but I'm not sure about lead.

There are two gyms nearby, however, if you're willing to pay for an annual pass/monthly membership! Climber's Rock is a short commute to Burlington, and is very bouldering-focused: cave, slab, etc. They have top rope and lead climbing, but their walls are quite short. I enjoyed the variety of bouldering, but having come from Junction in London (very high walls, haha), their top rope was underwhelming. I have been to CR a few times, and enjoyed it, but it may be tough to get to without a car.

There's also Gravity, which is located in downtown Hamilton (biking, it's ~10 minutes from campus, or ~10 minutes from St. Joes, if you're living down there). I've only been here once, but I have friends with monthly memberships who really enjoy it. Their bouldering space is small compared to CR, but they seem rotate climbs frequently, and have a lot of interesting problems. They've got plenty of top rope/lead climbing as well; I haven't had the chance to try this, but it looks like a lot of fun/creative routes. No autobelay, though, if you like that. I might consider getting a day pass to both and trying them out?

I'm also a climber, and am hoping to keep it up during my time at Mac! =)

On 2017-08-04 at 0:32 AM, ihsh said:

I'm not familiar with the rock-climbing wall at Mac, but I know that all students have to pay to get the Pulse membership. Without the membership, you only have access to the indoor track, the pool, and the badminton/volleyball court (no access to machines, fitness classes, and rock climbing walls).

The website says: "Base Membership includes use of indoor/outdoor track, pool, squash courts, saunas, open gym time and member rates for instructional/intramural programmes."

whats open gym time? I literally cannot find a schedule anywhere else

Archived