Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS-listing personal adversities

zeja02

I think you need to be careful with what you incorporate into your application. The more you add, the more you have that can be scrutinized. While I am definitely not suggesting that the adversity and challenges you have overcome are insignificant or inconsequential (and likewise I am not trying to bait you into sharing your personal stories here), make sure you take into account how someone reading your application might interpret their inclusion. For example: 1) I got a B in a class when I deserved and A and had to overcome this hardship by using communication to talk to the professor, is very different from 2) My family member was diagnosed with "X" and I was forced to be a caregiver for them while still in school. Just use discretion is all I'm saying.

While things like that definitely have a place on the UofT ABS or essays, it can be tougher to find a good home for them on the OMSAS sketch. I'm not saying not to include them, but as others above have mentioned, making sure to emphasize why it is on there and how it has helped you develop is key. 

Archived