Premed 101 Forums

Medddddd

If anyone could help me out here that'd be awesome. 
I'm wondering if I should apply to pharm this year or wait another year.  

My GPA is 3.55, I am going into my fourth year, but will have one more semester left afterward. My last two years GPA is ~3.7. I have shadowed two pharmacists, volunteered in two hospitals, am a varsity track and field athlete, have a variety of other volunteering experience, etc. I also would be considered an IP applicant in both BC and Alberta and as such would like to apply to both UBC and U of A. I am wondering if I should apply this year or wait another year to increase my GPA. 
Thanks in advance for the help :))

Hello initrams,

I'd be more than happy to help regarding UBC PharmD applications. What is your pre-req average? Is the laat 30 credit average based on the 4.33 or 4.0 scale?

Great to see a diverse background, you'll have more experiences to select from than Bob Ross has colors to use. 

To answer your question, yes. There is no downfall to applying. UBC posts a competitive GPA which is helpful to be near. The determinant on interview offers is strictly your placing within the applicant pool when comparing the two sets of marks. If the applicant pool has lower marks then you have a better chance, vice versa. You'll also familiarize yourself with the application process. There is only positive outcomes from applying. 

As Michael Scott once wrote: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take -Wayne Gretsky"

Let me know if you have other questions,

Chris

Can't hurt to apply. Your GPA looks fine, if things haven't changed much, UBC competitive GPA is probably around 80% (from what I remember in my class a few years ago). You seem well rounded and have a solid shot at getting an interview invite, which will be the deciding factor for acceptance.  If you have any questions about UBC or pharmacy in general, feel free to ask or PM me.

Archived