Premed 101 Forums

Dal and Grad studies?

Basically, all the graduate degree does is it changes how your GPA is calculated.

For example when applying with a Bachelors degree, your best 3 years are assessed (one of three has to be a "senior" year)

With a Masters, your Masters GPA counts for 1 year, and you use your best two (one must be a senior year) from undergrad, a PhD would mean they assess your grades in the PhD program and your third or fourth year of undergrad.

18 minutes ago, MTHFR677 said:

Basically, all the graduate degree does is it changes how your GPA is calculated.

For example when applying with a Bachelors degree, your best 3 years are assessed (one of three has to be a "senior" year)

With a Masters, your Masters GPA counts for 1 year, and you use your best two (one must be a senior year) from undergrad, a PhD would mean they assess your grades in the PhD program and your third or fourth year of undergrad.

Funnily enough, I have a 3.5 in my third year. I was eligible to apply to Dal OOP after finishing my bachelor's, but starting (and finishing) a master's made me ineligible :D

All PhD courses are assessed as one year + one full time senior year (3 or 4). Not sure of many PhD programs that have absolutely no course work through... But for discussion, I would assume that there would be some special circumstance in which case I would think you need to call admissions. 

I believe that as long as you are finished your graduate degree by matriculation (or the specific date set by the institution for proof of degree fulfilment), then you are able to apply. I.e. you can't apply in your first year of grad school and then drop out of the program if you get accepted. 

On 12/18/2017 at 3:33 PM, ExercMed said:

I believe that as long as you are finished your graduate degree by matriculation (or the specific date set by the institution for proof of degree fulfilment), then you are able to apply. I.e. you can't apply in your first year of grad school and then drop out of the program if you get accepted. 

But if given permission from your PI could you defer your graduate degree to go to medical school for 4 years?

I'm unsure on that. Something might be able to be arranged if you are doing your graduate degree at Dalhousie, however, I don't think it's possible to do that if you are applying from another school. It would be best to contact admissions directly. From what I recall, they are fairly strict on the grad school matriculation policies. 

No, they do not allow deferral of graduate studies to complete medicine, even with the permission of the PI. After 4 year of medicine you're gone to residency, you won't want to try to do a graduate program then.

As per their website, all requirements of the degree have to be met by July 30th of the year you start medicine, and they need to see a letter from you university's School of Graduate Studies (or equivalent). If not, they rescind your offer of acceptance.

Don't apply mid-program if there's even a slight chance you won't be finished. It would totally suck to be accepted and then have the rug pulled out from underneath you because something went wrong at the last moment.

On 2017-12-21 at 2:11 AM, ballsortahard said:

But if given permission from your PI could you defer your graduate degree to go to medical school for 4 years?

Archived