Premed 101 Forums

Almost graduate planning to apply for pharmacy school?

tsal714

I'm going to graduate this upcoming year and I'm looking into applying for Pharmacy school. I meet the requirements but I know that's not enough to get in. I mostly get B's and A's with 2 C's throughout my time at university. I'm not the most confident person so I'm holding back from even applying in the first place since I feel like I wouldn't get in. I'd like to hear from current pharmacy students regarding what I should know/consider before going into the program? How's pharmacy school so far compared to university? I'd assume it is much more difficult but I'd like to hear similarities and differences and what you enjoy/don't enjoy. If there was an advice/suggestion you wish you were told before going into pharmacy school what would it be? Were you involved in any extracurricular activities you believe have helped you to get in pharmacy school?

Also, if anyone could clarify this that would be great. I noticed that UBC does not require a student to take PCAT. I'm a bit confused because I thought all applicants must take this to apply? I'm guessing some universities require PCAT while others don't? 

Thanks in advance.

Hey tsal714, 

Good question regarding the PCAT. Previously, UBC did require the PCAT for their application (B.Sc program). Times and requirements have brought change. I can confirm as a current PharmD student that you DO NOT need the PCAT to apply :). This doesn't apply to other universities nor the programs they may offer (e.g. UoT PharmD still requires PCAT). 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

CDuke93

Thanks for the reply CDuke93.

I also wanted to know the following: What I should know/consider before going into the program? How's pharmacy school so far compared to university? What are some similarities and differences? If there was an advice/suggestion you wish you were told before going into pharmacy school what would it be? Were you involved in any extracurricular activities you believe have helped you to get in pharmacy school? (I posted this above)

If I remember correctly, for UBC you would only need to apply and wait to see whether they would like you to come in for an interview? How did you prepare for this? I know that submitting an application does not guarantee an interview but I'm worried about this since I'm not great at interviews. My grades are also "okay" so I'm not even sure if it will be worth it to apply. I guess I'll try. 

No worries Tsal714! More than happy to help. 

I'll answer your questions sequentially. 

1) You should be familiar with the roles that a pharmacy plays within the healthcare field. This would include what types of scenarios they would be faced with and relevant healthcare topics (e.g. Current opioid crisis). You should also have a basic understanding of ethics (both for MMI and when you start the program). Going into the program, be aware this is a professional program. There is a higher expectation on students, in both academic workload and professionalism. 

2) Topics more interesting. Much more material. Difficulty of material isn't high. Much more going on at once (Labs, integration activities, lectures, professional development activities). Everything you learn will integrate much better than compared to a standard B.Sc program, and it can be directly applied to your clinical work. 

3) Two things. Pre-acceptance: Take the time to understand the profession and current issues/topics in the field. Acceptance: "The day your career started, was the day you received the acceptance letter". Everything you do contributes or detracts from your experience and/or career in pharmacy. Take advantage of opportunities to lead, follow and contribute to the field; they will be there for those who seek it. 

Correct. After you apply, if your marks are above the average then you will receive an interview request. I prepared in two ways: 1) Read "Doing Right: Guide to Ethics for Healthcare Professionals"; gives a great background in ethics and though processes. 2) I founded and participated in mock MMI questions; hosted Skype sessions to ask questions, answer question and engage in feedback. You can do this through Skype or in person. Really helped get the flow and timing down. Many people struggle as it's stressful and weight-bearing, you can do it, give it time, practice and confidence in your ability :)

Honestly, it would be worth it to at least apply. As I mentioned before, it is completely dependent on the applicant pool; it is mainly a disadvantage if you don't apply as there is NO way to determine what the "optimal GPA" for any given year is. Trust me, apply. See you in the program next year ;)

Archived