Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Monkey D. Luffy

Doing GI in Canada and then moving to US

It seems like for most specialties, the length of training required in Canada is at least the same in the US, if not longer. I thought the only counter-example was FM, but it looks like gastroenterology is also the same (2 year post-IM in Canada vs. 3 in the US). Does anyone know any docs that were able to do GI in Canada and then move to the States to work? What additional training would you need, if any?

Thanks!

yes. fam member did his GI here in canada. did a 3 year fellowship here as well. couldn't find any full time work except northern ontario...did another 1 year fellowship in the states and is making a milli + 

On 1/31/2018 at 6:48 PM, #YOLO said:

yes. fam member did his GI here in canada. did a 3 year fellowship here as well. couldn't find any full time work except northern ontario...did another 1 year fellowship in the states and is making a milli + 

Hey thanks for the reply! There's 3 year fellowships available in Canada? I thought GI was only 2 years, what schools offer 3 year ones?

Also which fellowships make that much in the US?!

Thanks!

On 2/2/2018 at 1:21 PM, #YOLO said:

I mean after he did his 2 years of GI..he did an additional 3 year fellowship

...theureapeutics and more procedural based fellowships will make u $

So your saying...they did 3 years IM, 2 years GI, 3 years fellowship after that...then another 1 year fellowship in the US? For a total 9 years post-med school?

No thanks.

On 2018-01-31 at 6:48 PM, #YOLO said:

Is he making a million here or in the US? I thought topping 8-900 in Canada for a GI was really hard 

17 hours ago, #YOLO said:

In the US. a bunch of the GIs in sask are making over a milli ez.

Yeah but I feel like this isn’t practical anymore. 

Lots of carido and GI and nephro guys making close to a million but they all old. Younger grads  can’t get jobs 

2 hours ago, Aconitase said:

Yeah but I feel like this isn’t practical anymore. 

Lots of carido and GI and nephro guys making close to a million but they all old. Younger grads  can’t get jobs 

savage times now days. 

35 minutes ago, TechToMD said:

Can someone else confirm that as a certified in GI in Canada you would need to re-do your 3 year GI fellowship to work in the States?? That sounds ridiculous to me!

Pretty sure you don't need to redo it. GI is a 2 year fellowship btw. 

24 minutes ago, Edict said:

Pretty sure you don't need to redo it. GI is a 2 year fellowship btw. 

It's 3 years in the states, thus the confusion about whether you need to re do it or not to work there

On 2/7/2019 at 9:12 AM, Edict said:

Oh wow, did not know that.

https://www.abim.org/certification/policies/internal-medicine-subspecialty-policies/gastroenterology.aspx

Seems like you might need to just do a 1 year fellowship to become eligible? 

True. The 2-year Canadian GI fellowship can be topped up with a 1 year advanced fellowship related to GI such as advanced endoscopy training to become eligible for GI accreditation in the U.S. The following is an email response I received in regards to the question at hand from ABIM. 

Thank you for your e-mail. To become eligible for ABIM’s Gastroenterology Certification Exam, candidates must satisfactorily complete 36 months of fellowship training. ABIM understands that in Canada, the GI training requirement is only 24 months, so what we typically do, as an exception, is review a proposal submitted on the trainee’s behalf, requesting that a year of GI-related training be granted towards the third year training requirement, like advanced endoscopy.

If approved, that would meet ABIM’s 36 month training requirement as an exception.