Premed 101 Forums

Average amount of student debt at the end of med school?

On 9/14/2018 at 5:46 AM, Aconitase said:

It’s going to vary. A lot of people have help from parents. 

I stayed at home for med school and my parents helped me out so I owed 30k

Did you pay your debt in  your first year of residency? I will be graduating with almost 50K of debt and I was just curious. 

4 minutes ago, marta12345 said:

Did you pay your debt in  your first year of residency? I will be graduating with almost 50K of debt and I was just curious. 

Yup!

I owed about 30k and payed it off during my first year. Being at home for med school and residency helped a lot. 

A lotnof people at UofT stay home for school and residency I find to help costs 

2 minutes ago, Aconitase said:

Yup!

I owed about 30k and payed it off during my first year. Being at home for med school and residency helped a lot. 

I live with my partner and he is responsible for rent, food, basic necessities etc... but I will still accumulate 50K in student tuition and book supplies, ...etc.  

You are definitely lucky to graduate with that little debt :)

1 hour ago, Aconitase said:

Yup!

I am not sure that a lot of UofT residents stay with their parents during residency. Everyone that I know lives on their own or with a roommate.

At some point, you do want to become independent and live on your own, just saying :) I find that you learn a lot about yourself. 

But finishing medical school with 30 K is a pretty sweet deal! 

1 minute ago, LittleDaisy said:

I am not sure that a lot of UofT residents stay with their parents during residency. Everyone that I know lives on their own or with a roommate.

At some point, you do want to become independent and live on your own, just saying :) I find that you learn a lot about yourself. 

But finishing medical school with 30 K is a pretty sweet deal! 

I knew quite a few that did to help save money. Once they got married etc they moved out. 

I wa a much happier staying home. No need to worry about meals etc and was so busy in residency I could just focus on studying and work and sleep.

personally I thinking living on your own  and finding yourself is over rate but to each their own :)

12 minutes ago, Aconitase said:

I knew quite a few that did to help save money. Once they got married etc they moved out. 

I wa a much happier staying home. No need to worry about meals etc and was so busy in residency I could just focus on studying and work and sleep.

personally I thinking living on your own  and finding yourself is over rate but to each their own :)

I do agree about the meal part :) I guess that once you live on your own, it is hard to move back with parents. 

I am also jealous of you able to paying off your debt during 1st year of residency :P 

Archived