Premed 101 Forums

What are the things that an Indian student should carry while moving to Canada for studies?

If you are moving to Canada, then you must remember the following things, before you
pack your luggage.
1. Avoid electronic items: A definite volt of current is needed to operate electronic items in
Canada. So, you are advised to avoid electronic items in your luggage.
2. Clothing: Be aware while selecting clothes to carry. You would require warm clothes
after reaching Canada.
3. Don't forget to make a list of important documents in order to avoid problems. The list
may contain-
· Important documents like passport, travel and medical insurance, certificates, transcripts,
medical documents.
· Winter Wear that will keep you warm.
· Laptop charger.
· Mobile, mobile charger.
· Some books. game discs etc.
· Basic utensils.
· Some local currency.

6 hours ago, Pyramid eServices said:

If you are moving to Canada, then you must remember the following things, before you
pack your luggage.
1. Avoid electronic items: A definite volt of current is needed to operate electronic items in
2. Clothing: Be aware while selecting clothes to carry. You would require warm clothes
after reaching Canada.
3. Don't forget to make a list of important documents in order to avoid problems. The list
may contain-
· Important documents like passport, travel and medical insurance, certificates, transcripts,
medical documents.
· Laptop charger.
· Basic utensils.
· Some local currency.

Huh? What is the point of this. Which Indian is coming here for medical school?

13 hours ago, Pyramid eServices said:

pack your luggage.
after reaching Canada.
may contain-
medical documents.
· Laptop charger.
· Basic utensils.
· Some local currency.

I'm confused.  Should I avoid electronic items, or should I bring my mobile and mobile charger with me?

48 minutes ago, ploughboy said:

WI'm confused.  Should I avoid electronic items, or should I bring my mobile and mobile charger with me?

I'd guess that they're saying not to bring like, hair dryers or whatever because the voltage and outlet might not be compatible?

You can definitely bring your cell phone, but you might need to pick up a converter or to buy a new charger - if you have an iPhone or android they are everywhere. Just be aware that if you use your cell phone on your Indian plan, you're going to get a lot of roaming fees. 

Also, about the "warm clothes" thing: yes, if you get here between October and May you're going to want warm clothes (sweaters in at the beginning and end of that period, a heavy winter coat in the middle) unless you're in BC, but if you get to Canada in the summer it's going to be warm... 20-35 degrees Celsius probably, so you won't need warm clothes on arrival. 

Archived