Premed 101 Forums

Residents from other provinces, now NS residents..?

Hi guys,

BSc student here in British Columbia. 1st year and I’m moving out east to saint Mary’s university in Halifax! Slightly nervous to be moving across the country but never the less, excited.

Dalhousie medical school’s says in order to be considered an IP applicant, one must be living in the same maritime province (NS) for 12 consecutive months, which does not imply full time study.

Have any of you completed your degree in NS as an OOP student and have gone into Dalhousie’s medical program later in one year?

23 hours ago, Thesilentknight said:

Hi guys,

BSc student here in British Columbia. 1st year and I’m moving out east to saint Mary’s university in Halifax! Slightly nervous to be moving across the country but never the less, excited.

Dalhousie medical school’s says in order to be considered an IP applicant, one must be living in the same maritime province (NS) for 12 consecutive months, which does not imply full time study.

Have any of you completed your degree in NS as an OOP student and have gone into Dalhousie’s medical program later in one year?

Remember that it’s not actually one year. It’s 28 months because it’s 12 months with the same maritime address at the time of application. So if you graduate in May, you would have to work in Nova Scotia until the next May to be considered  IP and then you wouldn’t start until the September after that, assuming you get in on the first try.

If you understand that and that’s your plan if you really wanna be IP for Dal I’d go for New Brunswick IP honestly. The post-interview acceptance rate for NB applicants is extremely high. I’m pretty sure the number of interviewed NB applicants was equal to or even less than the number of seats this year? NB also gets a level of IP status at Mun although I’m not sure of what Mun’s IP requirements are.

A couple things to think about.

MUN and Dal’s IP requirement for NB status is the same. Post interview given you met the cut offs (which are very low IMO) was 100% this year for NB residents 

I think that you should try applying as early as you can, it’s a learning experience of its own. The fact that you are studying at dal may help you in the maritime connection essay if you are applying as an OOP and show the committee that you are serious about staying. That essay (given that you met the cutoffs) is the only factor that decides if you get an interview as an OOP. The rest is assessed later :P 

Hope that helps

16 hours ago, Rahvin13 said:

Remember that it’s not actually one year. It’s 28 months because it’s 12 months with the same maritime address at the time of application. So if you graduate in May, you would have to work in Nova Scotia until the next May to be considered  IP and then you wouldn’t start until the September after that, assuming you get in on the first try.

If you understand that and that’s your plan if you really wanna be IP for Dal I’d go for New Brunswick IP honestly. The post-interview acceptance rate for NB applicants is extremely high. I’m pretty sure the number of interviewed NB applicants was equal to or even less than the number of seats this year? NB also gets a level of IP status at Mun although I’m not sure of what Mun’s IP requirements are.

Great to know. Somehow I had my head wrappe around that it was 12 months but in fact, it is 12 months before the application. So two years. That’s a long haul, adding an extra two years. 

I applied to saint Mary’s university for their biology program. I can always apply to UBC’s cycle first try, as an IP, then wait a following year if I don’t get accepted and apply as an IP at Dal.

i would go to NB but there is a strong cliff hanger... there is zero consistent surfing that is 20-30 minutes away:) you must do what keeps you happy in life!

so as of now my options are, and help me if you think I could use advice:

-study in BC, apply to UBC

-study in NS at SMU, in 3rd year apply to BC as an IP. If accepted, attend UBC, if rejected/waitlisted, re apply to Dal following year as IP once degree is finished.

-or get funded for a MSc program in NS, which then I am eligible to apply as an IP applicant.

i don’t think I’ll ever move to NB for its geographical location...!

thanks!

16 hours ago, hartk48 said:

MUN and Dal’s IP requirement for NB status is the same. Post interview given you met the cut offs (which are very low IMO) was 100% this year for NB residents 

I think that you should try applying as early as you can, it’s a learning experience of its own. The fact that you are studying at dal may help you in the maritime connection essay if you are applying as an OOP and show the committee that you are serious about staying. That essay (given that you met the cutoffs) is the only factor that decides if you get an interview as an OOP. The rest is assessed later :P 

Hope that helps

It sure does help! I am planning on applying after my 3rd year as an IP to UBC and an OOP to Dal.

I feel like I’m spreading myself too thin and I should continue studying, perhaps at a different university than VIU, perhaps UVIC and stay in BC as an IP applicant.

I love the idea of going away to NS though. Never been there and there is a good small school, saint Mary’s, and great surfing. 

Don't forget that the NS residency requirements exclude time spent as a FT student, so if you're moving here for school it won't actually count. The requirements are a bit different this year from last year.

1.    You are an independent student** (see definition below) and have resided continuously in a Maritime province for one period of twelve consecutive months immediately prior to the application submission deadline (Section 2). This excludes time spent as a full-time student at a post-secondary institution   

This was the reason I did not meet the NS requirements for last application cycle, even though I am legally a NS resident. Just something to think about!

22 minutes ago, AM22476 said:

Don't forget that the NS residency requirements exclude time spent as a FT student, so if you're moving here for school it won't actually count. The requirements are a bit different this year from last year.

1.    You are an independent student** (see definition below) and have resided continuously in a Maritime province for one period of twelve consecutive months immediately prior to the application submission deadline (Section 2). This excludes time spent as a full-time student at a post-secondary institution   

This was the reason I did not meet the NS requirements for last application cycle, even though I am legally a NS resident. Just something to think about!

Cheers. 

So what were your options? What did you choose? Did you apply to your home province and apply as an OOP? 

Seems as if you can apply as an IP (for my situation, at UBC) during my 3rd year, then apply as an OOP at Dal the same year.

Then as 4th year apply at UBC again as an IP, and Dal as an OOP with the same story since you are still not 12 consecutive months as a non full time student. 

Until the applicant is 12 months in NS in the work force, they have gone through two cycles of applying and hopefully for their story, 3rd time is the charm.

let me know what you think!

1 hour ago, Thesilentknight said:

Cheers. 

So what were your options? What did you choose? Did you apply to your home province and apply as an OOP? 

Seems as if you can apply as an IP (for my situation, at UBC) during my 3rd year, then apply as an OOP at Dal the same year.

Then as 4th year apply at UBC again as an IP, and Dal as an OOP with the same story since you are still not 12 consecutive months as a non full time student. 

Until the applicant is 12 months in NS in the work force, they have gone through two cycles of applying and hopefully for their story, 3rd time is the charm.

let me know what you think!

I actually got in at Dal as a maritime student (just not NS), so I'm still starting there this year. I am currently working full time on my gap year and my intention was to work here for the year and be considered a NS student for this next cycle. Dal has better odds than a lot of schools in Canada for IP so that was my rationale. 

Your plan seems solid, but you do need to have a pretty good maritime connection from what I've heard to be even considered for an OOP spot. I'm actually a Saint Mary's alumnae so I'm quite biased for all of your east coast options haha.

27 minutes ago, AM22476 said:

I actually got in at Dal as a maritime student (just not NS), so I'm still starting there this year. I am currently working full time on my gap year and my intention was to work here for the year and be considered a NS student for this next cycle. Dal has better odds than a lot of schools in Canada for IP so that was my rationale. 

Your plan seems solid, but you do need to have a pretty good maritime connection from what I've heard to be even considered for an OOP spot. I'm actually a Saint Mary's alumnae so I'm quite biased for all of your east coast options haha.

Hah! Where are you working?

And a good connection, I would think is a credible professor that will vouch for you? Or something more “in” as in your family name, people know you etc..?

For your gap year, are you continuing your volunteer etc? 

I believe my odds for getting into UBC are strong. Considering I am/will be for the next two-three summers, a Wild Fire Fighter for the BC Ministry of Forest, a certified as a Medical Lab Assistant (phlebotomy, ECG’s, lab work) across Canada, and a big brother mentor for 3-4 years by the time I apply. 

Also, I am working currently as a behavioural therapist with kids/young adults with developmental disorders.

I honestly feel that when my application is put together, i will be separated from most of the pack. At least I hope. If my Mcat is strong I maintain my GPA etc. 

I am in correspondence with ubc med admissions, with an inquiry about applying as an IP applicant but attending school out of province. Unsure if there’s atm by points deducted, or scrutiny, as this will play a big role in staying in BC.

16 hours ago, Thesilentknight said:

Hah! Where are you working?

And a good connection, I would think is a credible professor that will vouch for you? Or something more “in” as in your family name, people know you etc..?

For your gap year, are you continuing your volunteer etc? 

I believe my odds for getting into UBC are strong. Considering I am/will be for the next two-three summers, a Wild Fire Fighter for the BC Ministry of Forest, a certified as a Medical Lab Assistant (phlebotomy, ECG’s, lab work) across Canada, and a big brother mentor for 3-4 years by the time I apply. 

Also, I am working currently as a behavioural therapist with kids/young adults with developmental disorders.

I honestly feel that when my application is put together, i will be separated from most of the pack. At least I hope. If my Mcat is strong I maintain my GPA etc. 

I am in correspondence with ubc med admissions, with an inquiry about applying as an IP applicant but attending school out of province. Unsure if there’s atm by points deducted, or scrutiny, as this will play a big role in staying in BC.

Well I actually have 3 jobs haha! I strategically chose them; 1 full time just for the money, then 2 part times teaching and working at the hospital just to strengthen the leadership/community involvement in case I needed to apply again. I definitely did continue volunteering because most med schools really value that. I'm on the board of directors for a charity and I was a mentor for high school students. I also just finished volunteering at a clinic at the hospital. I could have done more but I also just finished grad school and getting a few publications left me too busy to branch out too much. 

For the maritime connections I really think they're looking for something more personal (dal doesn't need references so that's not going to help you). Things like family living here, travelling here and loving the Maritimes, something that shows you have the support network in place here (and love the area) enough to succeed. 

I think your activities sound pretty strong, so in that aspect you should definitely stand out. I would recommend looking at the scoring breakdown for both schools along with the statistics for the last entering class. I found that incredibly helpful in showing me what they valued most and in helping me compare my own GPA/MCAT to last year's class. Even though GPA and MCAT are highly valued, they represent a smaller chunk than other components at Dal so that's something you may want to compare between the two. 

If you think your chances are higher in UBC, then I think I would definitely wait on their answer before deciding whether to stay IP or come to the east coast. According to a lot of sources it takes an average of 3 years to get in so you realistically want to do whatever gives you the highest probability of getting in. 

Just to piggy back off this, I will be graduating from the department of engineering at Dalhousie this May (OOP). If I was to stay in Halifax for 4 months studying for my MCAT, apply to dal medicine, and then join engineering without borders and spend my gap year working overseas (while halifax is still my "home base"), would I be considered IP by my next application. I would still keep my apartment but likely spend 8 or so months overseas.

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, just wanted to know what counts as residing in NS.

55 minutes ago, ballsortahard said:

Just to piggy back off this, I will be graduating from the department of engineering at Dalhousie this May (OOP). If I was to stay in Halifax for 4 months studying for my MCAT, apply to dal medicine, and then join engineering without borders and spend my gap year working overseas (while halifax is still my "home base"), would I be considered IP by my next application. I would still keep my apartment but likely spend 8 or so months overseas.

Sorry if this is a ridiculous question, just wanted to know what counts as residing in NS.

Good question. I do not know enough of the place of residency info. I would suggest calling and/or walking into the medical building and speak to an advisor. 

I would assume there’s some grey area as it says 12 consecutive months, but if this your home base, and work takes you away, then I don’t see how you would not be eligible to apply as an IP.

Speak to a professional. As should I..! 

57 minutes ago, ballsortahard said:

It does say you must be in NS for a consecutive 12 months before even starting your application though. 

23 hours ago, ballsortahard said:

fair enough you're probably right, I was just wondering where they drew the line. Its not like if you went skiing in quebec for a week you would immediately lose your IP status.

I'm not sure about this either to be honest. My residency status case was also quite complicated and I found the admissions staff incredibly helpful in helping me determine where my correct residency was (I even put it wrong on my application because it was a bit more complicated than they thought, but it was never held against me). 

I do suggest contacting them and checking, it's your best bet for the most accurate information! 

19 hours ago, AM22476 said:

I'm not sure about this either to be honest. My residency status case was also quite complicated and I found the admissions staff incredibly helpful in helping me determine where my correct residency was (I even put it wrong on my application because it was a bit more complicated than they thought, but it was never held against me). 

I do suggest contacting them and checking, it's your best bet for the most accurate information! 

Good to hear! What year are you in? What’s your story btw?

• 2 years later...
On 3/24/2018 at 9:56 PM, Rahvin13 said:

I am moving at the end of August to Halifax. Do you know what documents do the admission look into to establish the residence of an applicant?